Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop wont boot up into windows

Last response: in Components
August 13, 2011 6:38:05 PM

I am working on a gateway model m465-e laptop w/ xp pro. she used the laptop before going to bed, worked ok next day will not load windows. can not get into safe mode. I reset the hard drive, no change. I have the os disk that came w/ the laptop but it says on the disk that all data and files will be erased. and the os key has been worn away, bad place for it on the bottom of the laptop! I do not have a real win. xp pro disk or the key for said disk. Im not sure if the boot is corrupt or if hard drive is bad. The only error code I have is this,, stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x8a99a7a8,oxc0000102,0x00000000). I can get into bios, dmi event log says pre-boot error: memory size was changed. I do not have another hard drive to test if it is the hard drive. any suggestions on what I can I do next?
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2011 7:54:19 PM

I would run memtest first off. it sounds like one of the memory modules bit the dust.
m
l
August 13, 2011 8:10:29 PM

Can you open up the memory compartment on the bottom of the laptop? You could try using each stick one at a time. Hard drive seems an unlikely issue, but could be ruled out running linux from CD.
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2011 10:06:16 PM

jamie_1318 said:
Can you open up the memory compartment on the bottom of the laptop? You could try using each stick one at a time. Hard drive seems an unlikely issue, but could be ruled out running linux from CD.

I removed one stick of memory in each slot on each stick, no help. goes to the win. screen w/ the bar going across and then goes to start win. normal or safe mode. I am currently downloading linux so I can test hard drive. two more hours to go. whats the chances of both memory sticks going bad at the same time? pretty slim I'm thinking. any other ideas? Thanks for your help by the way.... bunkachunk
m
l
August 13, 2011 10:09:26 PM

popatim said:
I would run memtest first off. it sounds like one of the memory modules bit the dust.

I can not get into the os. will not boot up. I took both sticks out and tried them one at a time in both slots.no good, still will not boot up.
m
l
August 14, 2011 1:33:56 AM

try memtest x86, you can make a live ISO and boot off of that, that's what Popatim probably meant.
Aside from that the odds of both RAM modules going bad at the same time are about zero, so that is likely not the problem.
Try linux and see if it runs just fine. If it does you may need to do a complete reinstall, or replace the HD depending on whether the Hard drive is still good or not.
At this point in tools like oyur windows may have become corrupt.
m
l
August 14, 2011 2:10:58 AM

On laptops when you reinstall the operating system from the recovery media you often do not have to put in the serial number.
From the error message it sounds like your hard disk has become corrupt and that you need to run chkdsk /r at the command prompt. If you can’t get to the command prompt then you can execute the command from the recovery console by inserting the windows install disk and logging in to the recovery console

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
August 14, 2011 5:03:38 AM

All that has happend if you can get to the windows loading screen, is your boot record and MBR master boot record on the hard drive has been corrupted.

What you need to do is pop a bootable windows xp cd in the cd drive, let it run and press the R key for repair.
Once there you need to go to the command prompt. Then type Fixboot, then press enter. After that type fixmbr it will warn you just press Y to confirm then enter. reboot and it should load fine.
August 24, 2011 4:32:31 PM

Shaun o said:
All that has happend if you can get to the windows loading screen, is your boot record and MBR master boot record on the hard drive has been corrupted.

What you need to do is pop a bootable windows xp cd in the cd drive, let it run and press the R key for repair.
Once there you need to go to the command prompt. Then type Fixboot, then press enter. After that type fixmbr it will warn you just press Y to confirm then enter. reboot and it should load fine.

thank you for the reply, did as you suggested, laptop is now up and running. thanks again.
m
l
August 24, 2011 4:33:04 PM

Best answer selected by bunkachunk.
m
l
August 24, 2011 4:37:01 PM

I would like to thank you all for helping me in fixing the problem I had with the laptop. It's great to have a site like this and have so many people wanting to share their knowledge with you, thanks again, bunkachunk..........
m
l
!