Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Eyefinity DisplayPort Blackout---have tried both adapters

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2011 7:29:08 PM

I'm about ready to toss myself out the window.

I'm trying to run Eyefinity on a Sapphire ATI RADEON HD 5830.
The monitors are a trio of Samsung SyncMaster F2380. CPU is an Intel Core2 2.3Ghz Quad Core, so don't think there's any bottlenecking going on.
Vid card is overclocked to CCC's max. at 875Mhz and 1200Mhz.

At first, I bought Sapphire's very own Eyefinity-oriented DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter. It worked just fine running 5760x1080, until I tried starting a game (in this case, Dragon Age 2, which has native eyefinity support). The monitors connected by DVI worked just fine, but the one connected by the displayport would black out, and CCC gave an error saying:

"The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate on your DisplayportTM display. Your display might not support the requested resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer".

So, I RMA the thing away and overnight-ship a Displayport to DVI adapter, which is rated a perfect 5/5 stars on Newegg. Also made by Sapphire.

Got it today, plugged it in, and guess what? Same error! I've tried connecting the displayport to all three different monitors, and invariably that monitor will short out when I start Dragon Age II.

The only way I've been able to get the monitor to work again after unplugging is to unplug the DisplayPort adapter from the back of my computer, and then reconnect it. However, this makes the program bar at the top of the window (Which is normally invisible in full screen) appear, which really breaks immersion. Also, obviously, having to unplug and plug back in the monitor every time is REALLY annoying.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? If you need any more information about my system or the symptoms of this problem, just let me know.

Thanks in advance for your time!

EDIT: the one way I've been able to get the third monitor to stay:

Run DAII in full screen. One monitor shorts out. I then unplug and plug back in, which makes the game window-out (the top window bar appear, but you can't move the mouse there since it still thinks its in full screen).

Then, I change the in-game resolution to 4800x900. I press okay, the screen flickers as the screen changes, and the third monitor stays on!

Still a problem though: if I quit out of the game, or if I alt-tab, that third monitor dies again. As a reminder, this third monitor is the one that is connected by the DisplayPort.
March 10, 2011 5:21:22 PM

Shameful but necessary bump. I really hope someone has some insight for me, I've already sunk far too much money into this problem. I'd really rather not have to RMA this thing over and over, hoping for one that works. Right now I'm not even sure that it's the adapter's problem. What are the odds that I order two different ones from two different sites and both have the same malfunction?

Best solution

March 18, 2011 12:16:51 PM

I'm not an expert but to me it sounds like you might have a power drain issue. If it works when you unplug and plug back in that is likely because computers needs more power to initially start, especially with 3 monitors. Once up and running the power kind of levels out for lack of better term. If possible try plugging in 2 separate wall sockets. Another solution might be to get a battery backup/power bar that will distribute the power more evenly. You might want to upgrade your computers power supply. I had similar problems running off a 350w power supply. I upgraded to 750w (just to be on the safe side) and it works fine.
Good luck.
Related resources
March 18, 2011 3:02:34 PM

Best answer selected by PandaJohn.
March 18, 2011 3:03:31 PM

Corporal Al said:
I'm not an expert but to me it sounds like you might have a power drain issue. If it works when you unplug and plug back in that is likely because computers needs more power to initially start, especially with 3 monitors. Once up and running the power kind of levels out for lack of better term. If possible try plugging in 2 separate wall sockets. Another solution might be to get a battery backup/power bar that will distribute the power more evenly. You might want to upgrade your computers power supply. I had similar problems running off a 350w power supply. I upgraded to 750w (just to be on the safe side) and it works fine.
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply! I'd all but given up on this issue. I will look into the whole power drain thing, my computer is ten years old, so this could definitely be an issue. Thanks!
!