Solved

9600GT died, need new GPU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 9, 2011 9:33:45 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 4-10 days

BUDGET RANGE: $60 - $100 AUD ($60 - $105 US)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Wide range of games such as COD Black Ops, COD MW2, COD4, LFD2, CSS, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, WoW. Mainly need a cheaper card to replace my faulty 9600GT until I can afford a better card.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: 9600GT (faulty), 750W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Phenom II x4 BE 965 3.4Ghz (not OC), 4GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM, Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H Motherboard currently using Onboard ATI HD 4250, 1TB HDD.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I can't use Newegg or Amazon as I'm from Australia. I use a Computer markets that is held every Sunday for parts, prices are usually the same as those websites however.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Australia

PARTS PREFERENCES: ATI or Nvidia I don't mind which one, DX10 if able, price range probably can't do DX11 which is fine.

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 but can go smaller for better performance.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Need a cheaper alternative to 9600GT so I'm not stuck with Onboard Graphics until I can save up for a better card. Looking for best Performance for the price, have no interest in brand name or make, just need the best for that price range, I'll take you word on it (not very Tech Savvy). Computer uses Stock Cooling with 1 Fan so prefer a Card that doesn't build up so much heat. I plan later on to upgrade my cooling and get a better card in the long run.

More about : 9600gt died gpu

a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 9:39:46 PM

try an ati 47xx - 57xx series.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 9:53:55 PM

try to find 27 bucks and get this one http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=6262

your system begs for it :) 
March 9, 2011 9:55:52 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
Hmm...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphic...
That's probably the best thing that I can direct you to. Just determine what you're capable of paying for and go for it. :D 

I did take a look at that before posting, thanks for bringing it up tho, I saw the 3 cards but still wanted to post to get a general idea or knowledge based on my system.
m
l
March 9, 2011 9:58:01 PM

Derbixrace said:
try to find 27 bucks and get this one http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=6262

your system begs for it :) 

I agree the 5770 is a really good card for the price. I can wait another week for it I suppose, I was going too but Onboard Graphics is painful. The 5770 is far superior to the lower budget cards tho and will last a lot longer, It may be what I should do. Thanks for the AU link as well, glad people do read posts xD
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 10:02:44 PM

I think the best card for your situation would have to be the 5770.It does cost $20 over your budget but it's well worth it and i'm sure you could see some specials on it goign for around $100.At 1680x1050 it should have no problem maxing out any of the games you play.
If you wanted a card more in your price range i would suggest either a 4850 or a 5670.Or from Nvidia side the GTS450.But i think overall the best card for you would be the 5770.

To compare, the performance of the 9600GT is about the same as a 5570.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 9, 2011 10:03:52 PM

i know onboard graphics are annoying as balls, but don't get something just to get it. wait a week if you have to but dont buy something as a temp if you'll have the money for the nicer one within a week.. its not worth it cause you'll regret it in a month or 2
m
l
March 9, 2011 10:12:21 PM

opexx said:
i know onboard graphics are annoying as balls, but don't get something just to get it. wait a week if you have to but dont buy something as a temp if you'll have the money for the nicer one within a week.. its not worth it cause you'll regret it in a month or 2

I agree, another week is not long for a vastly superior card, I'm in no hurry. Well thanks all for the replies, looks like another week for a HD 5770 is the best option. Thanks for your input.
m
l
March 9, 2011 10:12:41 PM

Best answer selected by Ausgfx.
m
l
!