Nintendo will not release E-Reader in Europe

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

--- <quote title> ---

Nintendo will not release E-Reader in Europe

--- <quote> ---

Nintendo will not release the E-Reader Game Boy Advance peripheral in Europe,
the company's head of European PR has confirmed this week, following more than
a year of indecision and miscommunication on the subject.

The peripheral, which slots into the GBA cartridge port and retrieves game data
amongst other things from collectible E-Cards, is probably best known for its
integration with Animal Crossing, which finally made it onto Nintendo's
European release schedule earlier this year and should be out this September.

Speaking to Spong.com this week, head of PR Shelly Pearce admitted, "We won't
launch E-Reader in Europe," adding that NOE feels "the market potential isn't
great enough". However Pearce went on to state that Nintendo plans to make the
E-Reader cards' downloadable elements available "via different routes".

The confirmation follows plenty of confusion over the peripheral's fate,
including an episode in August last year when the company reiterated its plans
to launch the E-Reader in Europe following reports to the contrary. The plan
had been to release it in the first half of 2004, but obviously it never
materialised.

Arguably though the E-Reader's absence won't come as too much of a blow to
European gamers, particularly Animal Crossing fans who stand to lose the most
functionality due to the change, as the lack of regional safeguards on the Game
Boy Advance means the door is still open to use the American version - and
Animal Crossing has already become a cult favourite on import over the past
year or so.

What's more, Nintendo's assertion that downloadable elements will be made
available in another way presumably applies to the eventual PAL release of
Animal Crossing, which is due out in fully localised form in Europe on
September 24th.

--- </quote> ---

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55998

--
"FAQs are the works of their authors only and there's no way to prove that they
represent the general opinion of group regulars." -- Adam H. Kerman

    "Euro 2004 Cent" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > --- <quote title> ---
    >
    > Nintendo will not release E-Reader in Europe
    >
    > --- <quote> ---
    >
    > Nintendo will not release the E-Reader Game Boy Advance peripheral in
    Europe,
    > the company's head of European PR has confirmed this week, following more
    than
    > a year of indecision and miscommunication on the subject.
    >
    > The peripheral, which slots into the GBA cartridge port and retrieves game
    data
    > amongst other things from collectible E-Cards, is probably best known for
    its
    > integration with Animal Crossing, which finally made it onto Nintendo's
    > European release schedule earlier this year and should be out this
    September.

    > Speaking to Spong.com this week, head of PR Shelly Pearce admitted, "We
    won't
    > launch E-Reader in Europe," adding that NOE feels "the market potential
    isn't
    > great enough". However Pearce went on to state that Nintendo plans to make
    the
    > E-Reader cards' downloadable elements available "via different routes".
    >
    > The confirmation follows plenty of confusion over the peripheral's fate,
    > including an episode in August last year when the company reiterated its
    plans
    > to launch the E-Reader in Europe following reports to the contrary. The
    plan
    > had been to release it in the first half of 2004, but obviously it never
    > materialised.
    >
    > Arguably though the E-Reader's absence won't come as too much of a blow to
    > European gamers, particularly Animal Crossing fans who stand to lose the
    most
    > functionality due to the change, as the lack of regional safeguards on the
    Game
    > Boy Advance means the door is still open to use the American version - and
    > Animal Crossing has already become a cult favourite on import over the
    past
    > year or so.
    >
    > What's more, Nintendo's assertion that downloadable elements will be made
    > available in another way presumably applies to the eventual PAL release of
    > Animal Crossing, which is due out in fully localised form in Europe on
    > September 24th.
    >
    > --- </quote> ---
    >
    > http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55998
    >
    > --
    > "FAQs are the works of their authors only and there's no way to prove that
    they
    > represent the general opinion of group regulars." -- Adam H. Kerman

    what can i do with all the pokemon cards i have bought and planed to use on
    the e-reader?

    ---
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:55:13 GMT, "mewthree" <paul@mewthree.plus.com>
    wrote:

    >what can i do with all the pokemon cards i have bought and planed to use on
    >the e-reader?

    Buy an US eReader? Gameboy has no region lockout so eReader games for
    GBA games will be fine as well as those $5 games. You just won't be
    able to use the GC connectivity with PAL GC games (like Animal
    Crossing) because eReader isn't supported with European games.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    wrote:

    >what can i do with all the pokemon cards i have bought and planed to use on
    >the e-reader?

    import one?
    --

    gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3

    "Chris F" <chris@asif.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:55:13 GMT, "mewthree" <paul@mewthree.plus.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >what can i do with all the pokemon cards i have bought and planed to use
    on
    > >the e-reader?
    > >
    > import one?
    > --
    >
    > gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    > Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3

    took your advice and bought one from ebay.

    ---
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:55:13 GMT, "mewthree" <paul@mewthree.plus.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >what can i do with all the pokemon cards i have bought and planed to use
    on
    > >the e-reader?
    >
    > Buy an US eReader? Gameboy has no region lockout so eReader games for
    > GBA games will be fine as well as those $5 games. You just won't be
    > able to use the GC connectivity with PAL GC games (like Animal
    > Crossing) because eReader isn't supported with European games.
    > --
    > To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    i have already bought the us e-reader, but to use it with a gamecube will i
    need to buy us games with a special disc to make it work or a us gamecube/my
    reason to buy a panasonic q

    ---
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 07:22:16 GMT, "mewthree" <paul@mewthree.plus.com>
    wrote:

    >i have already bought the us e-reader, but to use it with a gamecube will i
    >need to buy us games with a special disc to make it work or a us gamecube/my
    >reason to buy a panasonic q

    If you have Freeloader or Gameshark with built in Freeloader, you
    should be able to play US GC on UK console. I would suggest separate
    memory card for US games just to be on the safe side and those 251's
    are going cheap on eBay now that Nintendo finally released 1019 card.
    Don't get any 59's, some games can eat the whole card (like Animal
    Crossing) and a few even won't work because it's too small.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    > if you have Freeloader or Gameshark with built in Freeloader, you
    > should be able to play US GC on UK console. I would suggest separate
    > memory card for US games just to be on the safe side and those 251's
    > are going cheap on eBay now that Nintendo finally released 1019 card.
    > Don't get any 59's, some games can eat the whole card (like Animal
    > Crossing) and a few even won't work because it's too small.
    > --
    > To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    thanks for that. i shall now go look for a us animal crossing.

    ---
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    "Chris F" <chris@asif.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:55:13 GMT, "mewthree" <paul@mewthree.plus.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >what can i do with all the pokemon cards i have bought and planed to use
    on
    > >the e-reader?
    > >
    > import one?
    > --
    >
    > gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    > Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3

    ....buy one in europe.....

    --
    Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards

    Rainer Benda
    Computer & Zubehörversand
    Web-Shop: http://www.rbenda.de
    Forum : http://www.rbenda.de/wbb2
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    > > import one?
    > > --
    > >
    > > gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    > > Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3
    >
    > ...buy one in europe.....
    >

    > --
    > Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards

    form what i understand they are not available in europe.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    mewthree wrote:
    >>>import one?
    >>>--
    >>>
    >>>gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    >>>Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3
    >>
    >>...buy one in europe.....
    >>

    >>--
    >>Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards
    >>

    > form what i understand they are not available in europe.

    Don't know/care about UK & Europe seems to be the nintendo attitude....
    Anyway, I got my e-reader from
    http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=3212
    The guy also trades on ebay under the name of Fiocco. Hella fast he is
    as well.... and cheap too!

    Lord Deckard
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    "mewthree" <paul@mewthree.plus.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > > > import one?
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    > > > Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3
    > >
    > > ...buy one in europe.....
    > >

    > > --
    > > Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards
    > >

    > form what i understand they are not available in europe.

    Sure, they are...take a look at www.rbenda.de, procuct number 1175. It`s
    available.

    --
    Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards

    Rainer Benda
    Computer & Zubehörversand
    Web-Shop: http://www.rbenda.de
    Forum : http://www.rbenda.de/wbb2
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    Rainer Benda wrote:

    >> form what i understand they are not available in europe.
    >
    > Sure, they are...take a look at www.rbenda.de, procuct number 1175.
    > It`s available.

    That's the US version.

    Tim (tm)
    --
    tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
    http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource

    "Tim Miller" <news@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Rainer Benda wrote:
    > >>
    > >> form what i understand they are not available in europe.
    > >
    > > Sure, they are...take a look at www.rbenda.de, procuct number 1175.
    > > It`s available.
    >
    > That's the US version.
    >
    > Tim (tm)
    > --
    > tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
    > http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource
    > http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine
    > The talkabout network is denied permission to reproduce this post

    took a look and they are $40.00. got mine for $25.00
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:29:32 GMT, "mewthree" <paul@mewthree.plus.com>
    wrote:

    >"Tim Miller" <news@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> > Sure, they are...take a look at www.rbenda.de, procuct number 1175.
    >> > It`s available.
    >>
    >> That's the US version.
    >>
    >> Tim (tm)
    >> --
    >> tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
    >> http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource
    >> http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine
    >> The talkabout network is denied permission to reproduce this post
    >>

    >took a look and they are $40.00. got mine for $25.00

    its also his site, so plain self-promotion.

    not to mention a lie.
    --

    gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:29:32 GMT, "mewthree" <paul@mewthree.plus.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Tim Miller" <news@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote in message

    > >> That's the US version.
    > >>
    > >> Tim (tm)
    > >> --
    > >> tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
    > >> http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource
    > >> http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine
    > >> The talkabout network is denied permission to reproduce this post
    > >>

    > >took a look and they are $40.00. got mine for $25.00
    > >
    > its also his site, so plain self-promotion.
    >
    > not to mention a lie.
    > --
    >
    > gamertag: chrisflynnuk
    > Live Line-up: RS3, PGR2, Links04, SC:PT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3

    Not true...yes, it`s my site but i answered his question where to buy in
    europe, so what ? :-(

    And yes, you can get it for USD25 outside europe, but thats not a price for
    me and also
    the reseller conditions are higher.....
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    Rainer Benda wrote:

    > Not true...yes, it`s my site but i answered his question where to buy
    > in europe, so what ? :-(

    You're still selling the US version.

    > And yes, you can get it for USD25 outside europe, but thats not a
    > price for me and also
    > the reseller conditions are higher.....

    Rubbish. Buy it directly form Tronix or The Rage, and you'll save yourself
    a considerable amount of money.

    Tim (tm)
    --
    tim at economic-truth.co.uk Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
    http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource
    http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine
    The talkabout network is denied permission to reproduce this post
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    "Tim Miller" <news@economic-truth.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Rainer Benda wrote:
    > >
    > > Not true...yes, it`s my site but i answered his question where to buy
    > > in europe, so what ? :-(
    > >
    > You're still selling the US version.

    Where is the problem ?

    > > And yes, you can get it for USD25 outside europe, but thats not a
    > > price for me and also
    > > the reseller conditions are higher.....
    >
    > Rubbish. Buy it directly form Tronix or The Rage, and you'll save
    yourself
    > a considerable amount of money.

    Thats`possible, but i can`t buy any single part at different places. So, i
    answered
    his question and this is my actual price. If he don`t want to buy it, or
    he/you have
    problems with the price, you are not forced to buy it.....

    Sorry for the mistake, answering a question here......bye.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:57:28 +0200, "Rainer Benda"
    <R.Benda@t-online.de> wrote:

    >> > Not true...yes, it`s my site but i answered his question where to buy
    >> > in europe, so what ? :-(
    >> >
    >> You're still selling the US version.
    >
    >Where is the problem ?

    In your initial post, you kind of made it sound like yopu actually
    have UK version of the eReader. Such device doesn't exists, only USA
    and Japanese version.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

    > >> You're still selling the US version.
    > >
    > >Where is the problem ?
    >
    > In your initial post, you kind of made it sound like yopu actually
    > have UK version of the eReader. Such device doesn't exists, only USA
    > and Japanese version.
    > --
    > To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    my e-reader came today and it works very well. all i need to know is the
    combinations of pokemon cards to get the reader to work.

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video Nintendo Video Games