SATA III Support

condonse

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I am thinking of replacing my wifes hard drive on her ASUS U53JC Notebook with a SSD, how can I tell if the motherboard supports SATA III? I see a Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F240GB3 240GB SATA3 SSD on sale. Is this a good choice?

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
it's a good SSD. Kingston, Intel, OCZ, Crucial are other brands you could consider, but if you're getting a good deal on that drive, you'll be happy.
Based on the age of that laptop, I'd suspect it's SATAII, but there's a chance it's SATAIII.

Don't worry so much about the SATAIII vs SATAII. Yes, if the laptop isn't SATAIII, you may not get the full performance, but SATAIII drives will work in a SATAII system.
It's better to get a SATAIII SSD for a SATAII system than to find an older SATAII SSD to match a SATAII system. Today's SATAIII drives have better wear leveling and garbage collection, so they'll last longer and run faster.

condonse

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Thanks, the SATA III kind of helps me justify the expense. I found a good price with a rebate but since she just uses the laptop for personal non gaming I was looking for a really good reason to spend the $