Solved

I need an expert opinion

Hello Everyone!

I have been reading this website for a long time..
But only today I decided to register and post.
(oh yeah before I forgot, English is not my mother language, so Pls forgive me)

This is the configuration I am thinking of building in next week.

Feel free to criticize, and or suggest other parts.

budget: up to 1500$ for gaming mostly.

over clocking: yes**

parts not needed: mouse, keyboard


$315 CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

$190 Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

$50 Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 (PC3 12800)

$90 PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W 80 Plus

$290 GPU - MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II OC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

$55 HDD - SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

$22 Optical Drive - ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

$200 Monitor - ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG)

$70 Case - Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU Black Steel ATX Full Tower


** later (2months) i will add an SSD, another HDD, most likely another AMD 6950, and a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler or XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit, Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 High-power 2.1 PC Speaker System, LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30

so the price comes up to 1300$ + S&H -------------> probably under 1500$


I would love to hear any expert opinion/suggestion. Feel free to change anything in this configuration, (no AMD cpu, and no Nvidia VGA)


Thx in advance!
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about expert opinion
  1. if ur going to add antoher 6950 in later then i would atleast get a 700 or 750 watt psu a good one of these is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021&Tpk=tx%20750%20v2
  2. Best answer
    Welcome to the forum. First, consider getting a 2500K instead, it's a much better deal and not hardly a downgrade at all.

    ^ And +1 for the TX V2

    And maybe a faster HDD like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Not a huge fan of that case, but I suppose there's some preference involved.
  3. What is the primary purpose for your rig? If this is just for gaming then go with the i5 2500k to save $$ and because their isn't a performance gain.

    The gigabyte boards have a slightly confusing nomenclature going. I'm not sure the difference between z68a and z68x but I do know that "H" after the UD# like D2H, D3H, etc. comes with the hydra virtu software incase you were wanting to be able to utilize quick sync.
  4. saood06 said:
    if ur going to add antoher 6950 in later then i would atleast get a 700 or 750 watt psu a good one of these is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021&Tpk=tx%20750%20v2



    Thank you! very good point. I will buy that PSU.
  5. crewton said:
    What is the primary purpose for your rig? If this is just for gaming then go with the i5 2500k to save $$ and because their isn't a performance gain.

    The gigabyte boards have a slightly confusing nomenclature going. I'm not sure the difference between z68a and z68x but I do know that "H" after the UD# like D2H, D3H, etc. comes with the hydra virtu software incase you were wanting to be able to utilize quick sync.


    Thank you!

    I am going to play games with it (crysis 2, metro, call of duty, etc) But also would like to watch movies on my 55" plasma.

    yeah quick sync is one of the reason I'd like to get that motherboard. I am not sure about the i5 cpu. I am planning to O.C. the i7 2600K around 5Ghz with water cooling..

    Haven't made much research on i5
  6. jbakerlent said:
    Welcome to the forum. First, consider getting a 2500K instead, it's a much better deal and not hardly a downgrade at all.

    ^ And +1 for the TX V2

    And maybe a faster HDD like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    Not a huge fan of that case, but I suppose there's some preference involved.


    Thank you!

    What case would you suggest? I dont see the point spending $200+ on a case so I'll have USB 3.0 on front, and better look, and what not

    or am I missing the point here getting a good quality case?? - never thought it would worth spending extra $100 - $200+ for it


    or is it?


    I definitely like that HDD, thats better then what I picked. I am gonna go with it
  7. Big fan of the 690 but the price of that Lian Li is too sweet.
  8. jbakerlent said:


    Thx again!

    I like those cases.

    I think I have a very good and complete list.
  9. Best answer selected by FireFics.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product