New PC error help

Hi,

I recently bought and started to build my first budget computer system with the following parts:

955 BE.
Gigabyte 880GM-D2H
Antec 650W
GeForce 9600 GSO
2x4gb corsair

As I am on a budget, I want/wanted to use my older PC's current HD and OS to save money. I was told that I wouldn't have a problem simply moving the old hard drive onto the new system. That has proven to not be the case I think.

I put all the new parts in and it boots up, then says,
"Update new data to DMI".

It continues on to start loading windows vista but almost immediately blue screens really fast (I had to use my camera to video record then pause to read it) and says,
"If this is the first time you've seen this stop error, restart your computer. Check for viruses on your computer, remove any new installation hard drives or hard drive controllers, check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated, run chkdsk", etc etc etc etc.

Is there any way I can get the HD/OS to work on the new system?
I do not have the Windows OS Disc. Previous computer was a pre-built system. I do have the OS serial key sticker on the side.

Note: I'm pretty much a complete newbie to this so, easy to understand terms would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about error help
  1. Welcome.
    The problem here is that you are trying to run the old win install with new hardware and drivers for the old hardware. I suggest at a minimum do a repair install of windows. Start up from win CD/ select install/ when the installation finds a previous windows install then select repair. After the installation you install all your other hardware drivers motherboard, GPU and etc.
  2. rolli59 said:
    Welcome.
    The problem here is that you are trying to run the old win install with new hardware and drivers for the old hardware. I suggest at a minimum do a repair install of windows. Start up from win CD/ select install/ when the installation finds a previous windows install then select repair. After the installation you install all your other hardware drivers motherboard, GPU and etc.

Guessing you missed it in the post, but I do not have the windows disc.
    Is my only shot to find a windows disc? :(
    Seems like a waste to buy an OS when I already have one. Annoying.
  3. http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Came across this while perusing. Would this fix my issue?
  4. IZombie82 said:
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Came across this while perusing. Would this fix my issue?

It might!
    There are different windows licenses! OEM that is tied to specific hardware (usually motherboard) and is cheaper than retail version. It is a breach of the license agreement to install an OEM windows on different hardware (new computer) than originally installed therefore the discount price. (Microsoft can be lenient though bearing in mind that motherboards brake and people sometimes do not replace motherboard with the same exact model) A full retail version of windows can be used again and again on different computers but only one at a time according to the license agreement, therefore higher price.
    Your license is an OEM.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Hard Drives Systems