Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Using Creative Sound Blaster Live! with Windows 7

Last response: in Components
August 14, 2011 6:44:39 AM

Hi everyone,

Just got an old Creative Sound Blaster Live! from a friend, and I'm looking to use it instead of my fuzzy onboard Realtek audio. Does anyone know what I can do to get the computer to recognize the card? I've used this site (http://nerdfortress.com/2009/06/06/no-sound-get-sound-b...) to try to get a better understanding of what's going on, but I've had no revelations yet. Anyone know what I can do? If I have no luck with the Live! card, can someone suggest a $25 or lower price 7.1 capable card that they consider good? New or used is fine.

Thanks!
XCsteve
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2011 6:51:28 AM

That card is far to old to be supported by Win 7. You wont find drivers for it.
Score
August 14, 2011 10:16:39 AM

Wamphryi said:
That card is far to old to be supported by Win 7. You wont find drivers for it.

If you follow the link in the OP you will find that there ARE drivers for it. One of the comments on that article has a link: http://support.creative.com/Downloads/searchdownloads.a... to Windows 7 drivers for the SB Live.

That makes your statement that "you won't find drivers" look inaccurate :) 
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2011 11:46:54 AM

Sigh I have been inaccurate all day. Yes there are drivers for some variants of the SB Live.
Score
August 14, 2011 12:39:27 PM

compulsivebuilder said:
If you follow the link in the OP you will find that there ARE drivers for it. One of the comments on that article has a link: http://support.creative.com/Downloads/searchdownloads.a... to Windows 7 drivers for the SB Live.

That makes your statement that "you won't find drivers" look inaccurate :) 

Doesn't work for me, just gives a " No compatible hardware found " error.
Can't even find drivers to make the onboard sound work ( P5K_SE )
Score
August 14, 2011 4:12:49 PM

Thanks for the driver support, I'll definitely use that driver if I get the chance. My bigger problem is that the setup exits with some message that begins with "Setup is unable to find a supported product on your system." I turned off the integrated audio in the BIOS, but the computer still isn't detecting the card...not sure how to make it show up. This may be a dumb question, but did I install it properly? I didn't connect anything to it on the inside; I just attached it to the proper slot. Could it be that it needs more power or something? When I look at my attached devices, the card shows up as an unknown device, but I don't know how to get past that.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2011 8:05:56 PM

I did wonder if those drivers would work. Maybe you have a variant of the SB Live that is not supported. I have one myself from years ago and it has been a long time since I could make it work in anything past Win 98.
a b $ Windows 7
August 15, 2011 4:28:36 AM

The SB Live! is arguably worse then onboard audio these days. It probably isn't worth the headache.
Score
August 15, 2011 9:39:35 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, but I think I'll just cut my losses. Perhaps I'll get a budget card from Newegg or something...my integrated is still pretty fuzzy...
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 16, 2011 3:29:21 AM

^^ My top choices for cheap, from cheapest to most expensive:

ASUS Xonar DS
ASUS Xonar D1/DX
HT Omega Striker
Auzentech Meridian 2G

No idea why onboard is giving such bad quality, as you sure its not the speakers?
Score
August 16, 2011 4:10:56 AM

Definitely not the speakers; I have a set of Logitech Z-2300s. Best audio purchase I ever made. Also, they sounds great when I have my my Dell Studio 1558 attached to them (I went with the integrated Sound Blaster software on that purchase a while back).

Thanks for the card info, I'll check 'em out!
Score
August 24, 2011 12:07:50 AM

Best answer selected by xcsteve.
Score
November 10, 2011 5:28:50 PM

xcsteve said:
Hi everyone,

Just got an old Creative Sound Blaster Live! from a friend, and I'm looking to use it instead of my fuzzy onboard Realtek audio. Does anyone know what I can do to get the computer to recognize the card? I've used this site (http://nerdfortress.com/2009/06/06/no-sound-get-sound-b...) to try to get a better understanding of what's going on, but I've had no revelations yet. Anyone know what I can do? If I have no luck with the Live! card, can someone suggest a $25 or lower price 7.1 capable card that they consider good? New or used is fine.

Thanks!
XCsteve

Probably late but hopefully this will help others with SB Live problems. When I made the move to Win7, I discovered I couldn't use the Creative software and the drivers. I did some searches for help with no luck. I did install a program KX Audio driver that was a free generic driver for the SB card. It worked great for about a year then, I started getting muffled sound and lost my rear speaker sound. I messed with it off and loading and reloading with no luck. I was about to give up and shop for a Win7 compatible card. I decided to more searching for a compatible driver for my SB Live! 5.1. I found a guy that said to try some things using the Creative drivers. It didn't work for me, but my own variation worked. I have great sound from my SB Live card and Logitec 5.1 speakers. I can even use my keyboard controls with it. Here's what I did. 1) Went to Creative and downloaded the driver package as I had probably thrown mine away. 2) Before I ran it, I right clicked on it and under the compatibility mode I changed whatever it was to compatibility for Win XP Service Pack3. 3.) Then a little lower on the page I checked Run As Administrator. Closed it. I ran it and when it came up and asked what I wanted to install, I only checked Load Drivers just to see what would happen. Loaded the drivers and had music before I even had to reboot. I tried loading the mixer, but it wouldn't work. Windows & has a mixer that I use, nit the greatest, but i have nice 5.1 sound back!
Score
!