Your question

Two 6870's in Crossfire - GPUZ shows some oddities

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 10, 2011 1:48:58 AM

Hopefully someone can help me with this,

I just got two Sapphire 6870 cards to run in xfire and set them up, fully uninstalled old drivers, got the latest drivers for the 6870's, etc.

When I launch GPUZ, on the "Graphics Card" tab, this is what it says for the first card:

And the second card:

From what I can see, they appear to be the same.

Now, when I go to the "sensors" tab it's completely different and also reports some odd speeds...

First card:

Second card:

Is the 2nd card running in some sort of stepping mode or something? I'm extremely perplexed. Is this a GPU-Z fault? What's going on here? :??: 

And it's reporting my core clock as 300 MHz? Could this be an issue with AMD Overdrive or GPU-Z? This post is all over the place, I know, I'm just very confused by this. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : 6870 crossfire gpuz shows oddities

March 10, 2011 1:54:39 AM

Here's the default afterburner screen (never used this before, sorry if there's a better view that I'm missing).

I did notice that the temps of the GPU2 are half that of GPU1, which reflects what GPU-Z was displaying as well.
m
l
March 10, 2011 2:03:42 AM

Thanks for 11.4, I'll snag it and give it a go. One thing I should mention is in the Catalyst Control Panel, I can't disable AMD Overdrive, it shows the check box with a check in it, but I can't uncheck it no matter what I do.

Also, about the temps, put the fan speed to 50% since you posted and the temp of GPU1 has dropped to 52C and GPU2 is at 36C/35C - GPU1 seems to be leveling out around 53/52C - hasn't gotten any lower yet.

What about the clock speed differences? Is this something to worry about? Thanks for the help so far, really appreciate it.
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2011 2:14:07 AM

Running 3, not in eyefinity, just regular extended monitors for work space. Also have a HDTV connected to it that I switch to if I want to play games at 1920x1080 on something a little bigger. I was a little disappointed to find out 3 LCD's hooked to 1 card, and an HDTV hooked to the 2nd via HDMI wouldn't allow for 4 monitors total :( 

Are there any tools or other methods to verify my xfire setup is functioning properly?
m
l
March 10, 2011 2:29:54 AM

Ah makes sense. I tried having the TV or a dif monitor hooked to the 2nd card but it wouldn't show up in the cpanel, they all had to connect to the master card, I figured this was the case but I had to try.

Only thing I'm weary about now are those different clock speeds on GPUZ's Sensor tab... but as you said it's probably nothing to worry about. Maybe I can get another utility that will verify that both cards are running at the same clock speeds (know of one?)

Thanks for all the help!
m
l
March 10, 2011 2:34:43 AM

Ah ok cool. Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it. Time to go test out some games! :D 
m
l
March 10, 2011 2:34:59 AM

Best answer selected by lasertits.
m
l
!