GBA Ice Climber / Mario Bros two-player: TWO cartridges re..

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Subject says it all. I'm thinking about picking up Ice Climber (domestic)
or Mario Bros (import) because of the two-player ability they both
support. However, it seems to be impossible to determine whether or not
these games require cartridges to be present in BOTH of the GBAs hooked
up with the link cable.

Obviously.. we're talking about some pretty low demands on resources, so
it should in theory have been possible to allow one game on one GBA to
transfer all relevant data to the other GBA's ram, so both players could
play the two-player mode with just the one cart. As to whether or not it
was decided that this was the way to go.. that remains to be seen.

I don't really expect anyone to know whether or not Mario Bros allows
this, but since Ice Climber is already available outside of Japan,
somebody ought to know the story on that game. Anyone? Thanks. :)

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Many of the later GBA releases allow for a limited two-player mode with one
cart, but a more complete set of two-player options with two carts. Sorry,
I don't know about this one.

Dane.

"Marc Brown" <retsa2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Subject says it all. I'm thinking about picking up Ice Climber (domestic)
> or Mario Bros (import) because of the two-player ability they both
> support. However, it seems to be impossible to determine whether or not
> these games require cartridges to be present in BOTH of the GBAs hooked
> up with the link cable.
>
> Obviously.. we're talking about some pretty low demands on resources, so
> it should in theory have been possible to allow one game on one GBA to
> transfer all relevant data to the other GBA's ram, so both players could
> play the two-player mode with just the one cart. As to whether or not it
> was decided that this was the way to go.. that remains to be seen.
>
> I don't really expect anyone to know whether or not Mario Bros allows
> this, but since Ice Climber is already available outside of Japan,
> somebody ought to know the story on that game. Anyone? Thanks. :)

David

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I've got Super Mario Bros. And yes, you can use just 1 cart. in fact, once
the game is transfered, you don't need to stay linked, you can disconnect
and play separately on each gameboy. The 2 player game is still 1 at a
time, so I really only have used the link feature to transfer the game, not
to play 2 players.

"Marc Brown" <retsa2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Subject says it all. I'm thinking about picking up Ice Climber (domestic)
> or Mario Bros (import) because of the two-player ability they both
> support. However, it seems to be impossible to determine whether or not
> these games require cartridges to be present in BOTH of the GBAs hooked
> up with the link cable.
>
> Obviously.. we're talking about some pretty low demands on resources, so
> it should in theory have been possible to allow one game on one GBA to
> transfer all relevant data to the other GBA's ram, so both players could
> play the two-player mode with just the one cart. As to whether or not it
> was decided that this was the way to go.. that remains to be seen.
>
> I don't really expect anyone to know whether or not Mario Bros allows
> this, but since Ice Climber is already available outside of Japan,
> somebody ought to know the story on that game. Anyone? Thanks. :)

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

David wrote:

> I've got Super Mario Bros.

He's asking about the game Mario Brothers (arcade game, non-scrolling),
not Super Mario Brothers.

David

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Ah. sorry.
"Ted" <nospamforted@nospam.com> wrote in message

> David wrote:
> >
> > I've got Super Mario Bros.
>
> He's asking about the game Mario Brothers (arcade game, non-scrolling),
> not Super Mario Brothers.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.classic,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

you might be better off buying one of the "new" super mario advance
games (Super Mario Advance 1, 2, 3, 4) or Mario and Luigi SuperStar
saga as they include the "deluxe" version of Mario Bros which can have
up to 4 players from one cart... the gameplay and gfx are much better
than the original NES mario bros

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/358/358050p1.html