Socket A Sempron vs. Socket AM2+ Phenom

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingedgecko

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Hello everybody! :hello: I am finally going to upgrade my rig. Now I know some of you are probably starting to laugh when you realize the system I have now, but truth be know...it did run Doom 3, Quake 4, & Half Life 2 on the medium settings. :lol: So yeah, I am way, way behind in the upgrade game. A friend gave me the Sempron 3000+ chip back in 2005 as a gift...so instead of going socket 754 or 939, I decided to let those newer technologies mature a bit. ie PCI Express, SATA, SLI, Crossfire, Dual Core, etc. Well now I am ready for that big upgrade. So my question to ya'll is, shouls I go with the Athlon 64 X2 6400 BE or the new Phenom 9600 BE??? :bounce: I see allot of you not saying it is not worth it to upgrade to the Phenom since you already have a dual core processor. However, what if you skipped over all of that and were now poised to get a quad core???? What do you think??? I will be going with a MSI or Gigabyte AM2+ board with a crossfire x setup. (graphics cards are being weighed in on) My goal is to build the best gaming system for an above average...not ridiculous...price. I want to be able to play my old games on their top settings, and play Lost Planet or Crysis at near to top levels on my 22" flat panel. So guys, which would you choose??? I know I will see a HUGE performance increase in everything I do, but I am looking towards to the future. Please help out with some feedback. Thanks, WG :lol:

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If you want an AMD system, then the X2 64BE will run games better at this point in time. Most games can't use more than 2 cores and the X2 will run clock fast enough that it should run faster than the Phenom.

If you want the fastest system, for you money then the Chips to look at are the E2160, E4500, and E8400 for ($75/$125/$210). The E2160 should outperform any AMD Chip for gaming. You can then spend more to get improved performance as your budget permits.

Don't skimp on GPU for CPU.
The 3870X2 right now may be a good choice if you have lots of Funds.
Shortly you will be able to put that into a CF board for a very fast setup.

Of course NVIDIA should have their response out within a month.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
The cool think about you waiting so long is that the performance increase will be a HUGE leap, and it should be really fun for you!

It this point in time, it seems like Intel is able to offer a better value for their processors. AMDs newest offerings are still suffering from some design flaws and bugs...whereas Intel is churning out a lot of stellar performers.

That being said, I am slowly building up my rig and my plans are:

780i motherboard & E8400 CPU, OC'd to 4ghz.
That with my current 8800GTS G92 video card, and I think I will be very happy!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
If your heart set on AM2+, you should defanatly wait for the SB700 boards. The current crop use SB600 which has had some issues with Vista. I havent heard a good date for when SB700 will be available.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Yeah I'd agree with B-unit on that one if they don't take forever to come out, but I'd go with an Intel rig at this point in-time, especially if you want to do some OCing. With a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 and a e2160 on a P35 chipset, you can easily beat every single AMD processor when clocked at @3.0Ghz. Overclocking on these boards is about as simple as turning the computer on.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I remember when I went from my old AMD Athlon XP 2000+ to a 2.2Ghz AMD dual core, the performance boast was huge.
You should notice a noticeable boast too from that Sempron CPU to a Dual or Quad, out of the two you listed (some will disagree) the Phenom is the better choice. Quad Core has more potential and despite the Phenom not matching Intel offerings the Performance still looks decent from the Benchmarks. Put the the Phenom with a good graphics card and you have a fast gaming rig.

Dekasa

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
If you're looking into AM2, I feel someone should mention the x2 5000BE. Thing overclocks very nicely, and is much cheaper than the higher end AMD chips. I'd wait on the Phenom for awhile, upgrade in 6 months to one, maybe.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Amd are still working out the differences between socket a and socket am2+ Phenoms

atleast the Athlon dont crash as much !!!!!! on unpactched TLB machines that is

wingedgecko

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008

Thanks for the input. I have been pretty loyal to AMD since my first K-6...but the current state of the company does have me a bit worried. That said, I do like what the 6400 be has to offer.

wingedgecko

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008

Hey!!! I used to have an XP 2000+ before the Sempron 3000+...was a huge boost for me. I used to be into computer sales and always was on the front line with keeping up with top new hardware. But I got hurt on my job and stopped hanging in those circles. So I'm a bit out of the loop as far as upgrading. But I just transfered all of my components to the new Gigabyte case and I am getting that itch again. LOL :lol:

wingedgecko

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008

Ya know, I didn't even consider the 5000+ BE...thanks for that tip. :)

I understand brand loyaltu but if you plan on spending that much on a CPU the Phenom 9600BE is not worth it especially since you can't get a guaranteed OC level with it. If anything the Q6600 is a better choice for now but if you want to stay AMD the 5000+ BE is a better choice until Phenom gets its kinks worked out.

wingedgecko

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008

The big question is WHEN!!! I am soooo disappointed like many over the delay with AMD...but when are the next generation of Phenoms due to hit the market? And ya see...if it is a few months more, I'll be waiting some more. LOL :sweat: So many people agree the X2's are better...but I'm coming from Socket A...the Phenom just seems logical to me if it is flawed. I just cannot compare it to Intel because I have not seen or used a Core 2 Duo before. All I have to compare my system with is a Socket 939 Athlon 64 3000+ that I built for a neighbor years ago. With fresh Windows installs, both were what and what...but as I started to load mine up, started gaming, watching video, encoding, I started to see the weak points of the Sempron. Now I'm so frustrated that I just want to grab just about anything. So maybe I'll get the Phenom AND the 6400+ BE and play around with both...then sell the loser on eBay. I will be taking a loss, but at least I will be able to play with some new product.

BTW, does PCIe v2.0 really make a difference between these two CPU's for graphics?

PCIe 2.0 makes no difference yet. Maybe later but not now. Also you can look at Toms CPU charts to get an idea of what a C2D and C2Q will do vs an X2 or even a Phenom.

Right now in the dual core arena the E6xxx series is the best and in the Quad core arena the Q6600 is the best. As a reference with the current Phenoms in order to keep up with a stock Q6600 you will need to have it running at 2.7GHz.

I wouldn't recommend the 6400+ BE but the 5000+ BE is a better buy and can OC better. Don't get the Phenom yet. Trust me from what I have seen its not worth it until it works and performs decently.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Dude.........5000+ BE

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007

AMD used to be budget king, but Intel has great budget CPU's now. As others have pointed out - all the CPU's you have mentioned will not outperfrom the Intel similar priced CPU's in gaming. They also will not overclock as well.

That said - the 5000+ BE will overclock and match the 6400+ BE and it's cheaper - 6400+ BE not a great overclock.

Video encoding - well you can knock of 15-30 minutes on a full-length movie with Intel CPU's vs. AMD - yup, Core 2 is that good!!!

But if Brand loyalty is what you're after, stay away from Phenom (unless you want a faulty Core that fcuks up the whole CPU) and just get the tried and tested X2.

mikeyem

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
So what do you think of this config?

Catalog Number: 29 DDDOTA3
Inspiron 546 MT Inspiron 546 Minitower w/ Black Bezel
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
Processors AMD Phenom X4 9750 (2.4GHz, 1066MHz, 4MB)
Memory 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4 DIMMs
Keyboard Dell Consumer Entry USB Keyboard and Mouse
Monitors No Monitor
Video Cards ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB
Hard Drives 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

wingedgecko

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Just an update. I'm finally ready to do my upgrade. Been limping along with this old system for 4 years now. I'll let yall know how it goes in the next couple of weeks.

In a new tread if you would please. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.