Crossfire 5770 worth it?

fusk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I've got a xfx 5770, and i've been happy with it.
I upgraded my monitor a few months back from 1440x900 to 1080p, card is still doing good tho, but wondering if adding a second 5770 rather than trying to sell it and invest in a new card is a better option.
i can get a new xfx 5770 for 134€
http://www.edbpriser.dk/Product/Details.aspx?pid=4393640

there a some cheaper options, but they don't have cooling that pushes the air outside the case.

yes you will have performance similar to a 5870 which is pretty good for 1080p, otherwise sell it on ebay and start off with a single more powerful card, but that might be even more of an investment, in the end CF 5770 will give you some nice gpu power

fusk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
One of the things i also considered is power usage, and as far as i'm aware the 5770 in crossfire wouldn't require your personal powerplant to run, it's farly power friendly, which i like since my machine is turned on like 17 hours a day.

I read somewhere that you get 98% of the performance from the second card.

fusk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for your answer, guess that means i've got a decent psu.
Just to be absolutely sure.
that 520w can handle 3xhdd, i7-920 no oc except multiplier adjusted to 2.8ghz, 2x4gb ddr3-1600 at 1.65v and two 5770 in crossfire?

fusk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
That's most likely because it's a small Danish company, that is one of the reasons i started using them 6 some years ago (hence i'm a Dane too) also after reading some of the reviews which said that they where making good & virtually silent psu's on the cheap.

I phoned them after my first psu from them started acting up, it was one of the engineers who picked up the phone, had a good talk, nice guy, unfortunately he told me that the hardware i was running at that time required more than 400w, he was quite pleased to know that it had managed to survive for over a year.

So i purchased another one, a 450w this time, and last week i switched it for the 520w.
I can't see myself ever using any other psu than chill innovation.

reliable names are usually seasonic, corsair, antec, silvertone, etc im not saying it wont work its just not a top name in psus, and unfortunately being an "sli certified" psu doesn't mean much, it should work but if it doesn't, you already know the culprit

fusk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Maybe i understood it wrong, but this is how i understood it.
It's because it's not a multi million dollar brand.
I find that kinda odd.

just saying it might be just fine, has nothing to do with teh size of the company but rather their reputable quality Ive never heard of your psu, but for all purposes it will probably be fine but if its not then you know your psu is the culprit that is all im saying and almost anyone on this forum would echo similar sentiments, thats my 2 cents you can take it or leave it

fusk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Ah, that made more sense, wasn't sure what culprit was either.
well, i guess it's like that with all things you don't know about.

Oh well i'm not worried about the psu not delivering, i did read a review before hand where they measured the output in a so called hotbox, and it does deliver as promised.
I just don't know how that compared to my hardware.

But thanks for you answer.

spur123

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
i personally would be looking at a single card option, i bought one 5770 then a second one 12 months ago and was very happy, but recently i bought a pair of gtx 570's and have never looked back, if its in your budget i would sell the single 5770 and upgrade possibly to a 6950 or something equivalent.

fusk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
well, it's a never ending cycle, you buy a card, a year later you wanna upgrade, either add on more or sell it and buy a new one, if you sell and buy new one, then a year later your in the same situation again.

exactly, personally I'd get another 5770 and enjoy great crossfire performance, and down the road you can sell them both for something and start over, I'd say pull the trigger on the second 5770 now if your going to do so at all...