USB To PCMCIA Cable?????

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2005 9:32:15 PM

I know they exist! I am looking for a cable with a male USB on one
end to plug into the back of my laptop and a female PCMCIA slot to
where I can plug in my wireless card. The ultimate goal is to be
able to run my USB 2.0 card in my one available built in PCMCIA slot
simultaneously with my wireless PCMCIA card. I have seen this cable
on CMS Periphrials before, but they no longer offer the product and I
have scoured the net looking for one. Anyone who knows where to get
such a cable would be greatly appriciated. Thanks. :D

More about : usb pcmcia cable

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2005 9:32:16 PM

"ringfinger" <ringfinger2763@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:428e575f$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
> I know they exist! I am looking for a cable with a male USB on one
> end to plug into the back of my laptop and a female PCMCIA slot to
> where I can plug in my wireless card. The ultimate goal is to be
> able to run my USB 2.0 card in my one available built in PCMCIA slot
> simultaneously with my wireless PCMCIA card. I have seen this cable
> on CMS Periphrials before, but they no longer offer the product and I
> have scoured the net looking for one. Anyone who knows where to get
> such a cable would be greatly appriciated. Thanks. :D

Ebay

You'll have less trouble and cost by getting a wireless USB adapter.

Pagan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2005 2:04:58 AM

"ringfinger" <ringfinger2763@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:428e575f$1_1@alt.athenanews.com...
>I know they exist! I am looking for a cable with a male USB on one
> end to plug into the back of my laptop and a female PCMCIA slot to
> where I can plug in my wireless card.

You mean like this one?

http://www.arstech.com/usb2pcmcia.htm

This only works with 16-bit cards. Most current WiFi cards (assuming that's
what you mean by wireless) are CardBus. I have a 802.11b card that is
16-bit, but it's 3.3 V so it might not work with this (USB bus is 5 V, the
same as 'normal' 16-bit PCMCIA).

Just get a USB WFi adapter. You life will be easier.

JL
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 4:28:34 AM

> This only works with 16-bit cards. Most current WiFi cards (assuming
> that's what you mean by wireless) are CardBus. I have a 802.11b card that
> is 16-bit, but it's 3.3 V so it might not work with this (USB bus is 5 V,
> the same as 'normal' 16-bit PCMCIA).
>
> Just get a USB WFi adapter. You life will be easier.
>
> JL

Amen. I have a dLink USB wireless adaptor and a PC Card adaptor for my
laptop--same specs. The USB adaptor definitely gets better reception--I
assume because the antenna is separated away from all the electronic
interfence of the laptop. Of course, it's not quite as compact when
traveling...
!