Installing right now... issue

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hi all.

Motherboard is a Asus Z877-V Pro, with i7 3770k... Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo.

Running in a NZXT Phantom 410 case, installing right now...

I am setting up my system right now and having some issues.

I initially installed everything into the case, powered on... and quick LED blip with one fan speed and dead. Tried again... same thing... remounted almost everything... tried again... dead.

Took the motherboard out and tried outside of case with GPU in .... worked fine?

Put back in case... left only gpu plugged in... worked fine.

Finally I started trying plugs...

Eventually what I have found is that any Fan I plug into the motherboard's 4 Case fan slots cause the system not to power on...

I am now installing windows then drivers...

Any other suggestions on the fans? I am a bit perplexed. :(

Solution
most mb have a voltage protection in them.if something starts to draw to much power at post most new mb wont power on.
if you have a volt meter and another power supply. check the voltage that the fan or fans that you think have an issue are using. most fans are stamp there voltage and amp they use. if the voltage is fine then check the fans amp when it starts up. if the draw is out of spec it will cause a mb not to post.

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Sounds like it could be a short in one of the fan connectors on the motherboard. You might have to just RMA it. Have you tried different fans? It could be the fan itself that is the problem.

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

thought it might be but i have tried single fans in each spot separate and each causes the system not to start... except the CPU fan spot which works just fine.

Well the fans are 3 different brands i've tried. 1 Coolermaster from my other case, the 3 NZXT case fans and 2 more bitfenix fans i just bought last week. Still puzzled. At least all my core components are humming along except for this fan setup.

G

i'm not familiar with fan control in the BIOS, since i never use case fans, i leave the sides of my box off, there any whacky fan control in your BIOS that would cause it not to power on for safety reasons?

most mb have a voltage protection in them.if something starts to draw to much power at post most new mb wont power on.
if you have a volt meter and another power supply. check the voltage that the fan or fans that you think have an issue are using. most fans are stamp there voltage and amp they use. if the voltage is fine then check the fans amp when it starts up. if the draw is out of spec it will cause a mb not to post.

Solution

licktheenvelope

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
*update*

Thanks for all the help guys/gals.

So after I checked both the fan and the CPU Case-Fan 4 pins, swapped with different parts... both worked fine...

In the end everything worked well... for whatever reason that one particular fan would not work with that one particular plug-in... weird.