Sign in with
Your question

CPU overheating issues

Last response: in CPUs
August 14, 2011 8:08:49 PM

Hi, I am currently experiencing overheating issues with one of my systems and think this could be a reason as well for the system crashing on me and blue screening, and suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem would be a great help.

p.s keep in mind that i am a n00b at dealing with issues like this, cheers

More about : cpu overheating issues

August 14, 2011 8:18:41 PM

Do you have a desktop or laptop? Can you tell us what your computer specs are?

Usually overheating problems will cause your computer to automatically shutdown to prevent any damage to system components.
August 14, 2011 8:31:44 PM

ty for the speedy response.

Its a Desktop PC and the specs are:

Operating System
Windows XP Pro 32 bit SP3

CPU
AMD Phenom x4 9950 Black Edition
Agena 66nm Technology

RAM
4 X 1GB Kingston DDR2 333 mhz

Mother Board
ASUSTeK Computer Inc - M2N68-CM(AM2)

Graphics
1024MB GeForce 9800GT (undefined)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 103 à CPUs
August 14, 2011 8:53:00 PM

Download HWMonitor and check what the temps are
August 14, 2011 8:58:23 PM

I currently use speccy for all my info,

CPU Temp - 64C on average
Motherboard - 64C on average
Graphics - 47C on average
Hard Drives - 38C on average
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2011 9:07:45 PM

CPU temp is way to high for an idleing PC, i suggest you clean out all the dust from your PC and your CPU heatsink, you may even consider buying an aftermarket cooler such as the coolermaster hyper212, what type of pc case do you have?
August 14, 2011 9:09:04 PM

Your CPU temp is high for an AMD CPU, should be bellow 60C. Your stock cooler is probably dirty, need to clean it well with some compressed air. If that doesn't do it, you need to remove the cooler, clean off old thermal material and re-apply new thermal paste (something if high quality). Also make sure you have good airflow in ur case, clean out your case fans and add any optional intake/exhaust fans (if they will with cause air flow) that you haven't yet.
August 14, 2011 9:10:29 PM

Uther39 said:
CPU temp is way to high for an idleing PC, i suggest you clean out all the dust from your PC and your CPU heatsink, you may even consider buying an aftermarket cooler such as the coolermaster hyper212, what type of pc case do you have?

the 212 is overkill and probably to difficult for him to stall.
August 14, 2011 9:11:20 PM

I've already cleaned out the dust from it on the inside, i think its a medium range case as there is plenty space in it, bigger than my older system that's why I'd say medium.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2011 9:17:26 PM

A oicture of your case would help us alot the inside and outside, also you should re-apply your cooler with new thermal paste, or like i said buy an aftermarket cooler if the 212 is to big then maybe an Arctic Freezer PRO they are really cheap and come with decent thermal paste pre applied, just dont forget to clean off the old paste from your cpu first.
August 14, 2011 9:22:44 PM

where would i be able to buy thermal paste ?

Is that available to buy in most computer shops ?
August 14, 2011 9:25:45 PM

Just took off the cpu fan and the coolant paste on there is dry and fragile, and not much on either the bottom of the fan or the cpu.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2011 9:32:31 PM

Yes it is in every PC shop ive ever been to.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2011 9:33:18 PM

Im also assuming your fan was still working (rotating) on your CPU heatsink right?
August 14, 2011 9:36:25 PM

yes fan is still rotating, i'll get some paste tomorrow from the local computer shop as they build systems so should have some for that at least, would it be better to get a better after market fan as well to replace the stock fan with a better cooling fan ?
August 14, 2011 9:58:56 PM

would it be a simple option of just removing the current fan housing section via the 4 screws and using the existing 4 screw holes to install the new cooling fan ?
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2011 10:06:48 PM

The 2nd one i posted is the easiest to fit, however i notice from your pictures of the inside of your case that, while you have exhaust fans, you have no fans pulling cool air into the case, this will seriously hamper your ability to keep your hardware cool.

You may also want to consider a cheap but effective new case. How good are you with PCs, have you ever built one before?
August 14, 2011 10:15:03 PM

Never built a system b4 but i suppose we all have to start somewhere and something i wouldn't mind doing either, i would assume that there would be plenty of members on these forums willing to lend some advice if needed as well.
August 14, 2011 10:26:04 PM

just noticed as well there is a cooling fan on the inside of the side panel i have off which looks like this >>> http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9752/sidepanelfan.jpg

Tha back fan i think sucks out the air so wondering if its possible to replace the air vent on the side panel with another cooling fan to make the system more cooler
August 14, 2011 10:41:08 PM

Forget about the case fans. The CPU heatsink fan or HSF is the key here. Fix that. Clean the old thermal paste using isopropyl alcohol. Make sure you take it all off from both the bottom of the HSF and the CPU itself. Then install the CPU in its socket, apply fresh paste and install the HSF again. If you do it properly you'll find the temps take a dive.

BTW if you need help with any of this search youtube for vids on cleaning old thermal paste and such. Lots of instructional videos there.
August 14, 2011 10:51:50 PM

iiiCOBRAiii said:
Hi, I am currently experiencing overheating issues with one of my systems and think this could be a reason as well for the system crashing on me and blue screening, and suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem would be a great help.

p.s keep in mind that i am a n00b at dealing with issues like this, cheers

CPU heatsink could be clogged with dust. You can blow them out with compressed air (I do that periodically on my notebooks).

CPU fan may be malfunctioning and not spinning or spinning to slow, you can replace those.

CPU heatsink may not be properly attached or heatsink compound may not be doing a proper job. You can get something like arctic silver and redo the heatsink mounting.
August 14, 2011 10:53:03 PM

many thanks on the reply's, hopefully i'll get it sorted out tomorrow and see some results in way of temp dropping, i'll post on how i get on with it all.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2011 11:02:49 PM

The fan on the cases side is sucking air into the case, which is a bonus, i also notice a CPU chimney on the side to, normaly you can take the plastic chimney off and mount another 80mm fan on the side of the case and then attach the chimney to the 80mm fan, so as the fan blows cool air directly onto the cpu cooler.

I would do all of the above after you ahve re- fitted the heatsink with new thermal paste.

Heres a picture of a chimney with a fan mounted as mentioned above that ive done, PS. its also a good idea to buy a 120mm and 80mm dust filter on any fans sucking cool air into the case.

August 14, 2011 11:21:01 PM

I think i might do as u suggested on the CPU chimney and also on the dust filter option as the system does seem to draw in a lot of dust and has to be cleaned every 2 weeks or so.

I have also made a purchase of:

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler - £13.40
Arctic Silver 5 3.5g Thermal Paste - £5.95
Arctic Silver ArctiClean Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier 60ml Kit - £5.49

Small price to pay for hopefully a better cooling temp on the CPU and all should arrive towards the end of the week.
a b à CPUs
August 14, 2011 11:27:12 PM

Oh and you may have to remove the CPU chimney altogether to fit your new cooler, but dont worry its a much better cooler so wont require the chimney, just make sure you orientate it so its blowing the hot air out of the back of your case as shown in my crappy cooling diagram below.
August 14, 2011 11:38:14 PM

correct i am in the UK but i also work night shift so i will be awake most of the night, went to purchase 2 of each filters u posted above and they are charging

Net Total £6.96
Carriage £7.99
VAT £2.99
Total £17.94

Looks like another browse on Amazon & Ebay is on the cards as they must be drunk if wanting those prices lol
a b à CPUs
August 15, 2011 12:15:01 AM

Yeah its always cheaper to buy them with other hardware you want,
How about an antec 300 case :::;
August 16, 2011 11:49:49 PM

Ok, got some paste, cleaned both CPU and underside of fan unit, temp seams to have dropped a little and now sitting on average about 54C

Not sure if this needs to be lower than this but assume that if lower the better, still waiting on the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro coming along with the new paste, might also remove chimney from side panel and replace that with an 80mm fan to pull more cooler air into the system.
August 17, 2011 12:47:50 AM

what's the processor usage ?
August 17, 2011 4:32:23 AM

Cobra, if you can figure out this problem let me know.

I'm having the same issue with my new CPU. i already wasted 2 AS5 on it! cleaning it and placing new paste. each time i try, mines stays at 36 celcius for a good 5-10 min only then it dies. then i boot into the bios to check the temp and its above100 celcius! what am i doing wrong? i bought hyper 101 heatsink/fan new and still nothing. should i get more fans? total, i only have 2. fan on the heatsink and 1 on the case to let the hot air out. i've also cleaned out all the dust out. anyone who can help me out, i would really appreciate it. it's been bout 1 week already. what im trying to upgrade

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

upgraded specs:
500w crosair psu
4gb crosair ram, but currently only booting with 2gb
5450 raedon hd 1gb gpu

CPU; amd athlon 64 x2 4200+
August 17, 2011 7:32:41 PM

Ok, got some paste, cleaned both CPU and underside of fan unit, temp seams to have dropped a little and now sitting on average about 54C

Not sure if this needs to be lower than this but assume that if lower the better, still waiting on the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro coming along with the new paste, might also remove chimney from side panel and replace that with an 80mm fan to pull more cooler air into the system.

An 80mm option would prob fit into the existing chimney holes already in place without making new ones. Do you think this would be better for it adding the 80mm fan or should i put at least a 120mm in to replace the chimney ?
a b à CPUs
August 19, 2011 11:07:10 AM

The 80mm will definately help, if you want to add a 120mm that is up to you it will be quieter.
!