Not sure what type of RAM to use

JohnD212

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I am in need of reinstalling my Windows 7 OS and decided while I'm at it I might as well go from 32bit to 64bit (since both are on my disc I bought). I only have 4GB of RAM currently and decided I'll just replace it with two 4GB to equal 8GB (which is more than enough for my use). I'm just confused by all the different RAM types. I have the Intel Core 2 Extreme x9770 at 3.2GHZ. I know the system is a little old but I'm just wanting to get a little more out of the RAM and maybe half a year before buying a new one. My computer has the nforce 790i sli motherboard.

I saw Corsair Vengeance 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory that runs at 1600 MHZ but all it says is Compatible with 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) Intel Core processor family. Will this work for my purpose? Seems like most memory now only shows the i5, i7 compatible but I'm wondering if that's a marketing thing and will it work for my purpose.

My current RAM is (2) PATRIOT VIPER 2GB DDR3 1333MHZ LL PC3-10667.

THanks for any help. :sarcastic:

JohnD212

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
That's great. Thanks! I just like to experiment a little on my systems before I buy a new one (I figure now's the time to do it). I upgraded the PSU and wiring and now I want to upgrade to 64bit and upgrade the RAM but occasionally it gets a little confusing. Thanks again.