Sign in with
Your question

Hi! Building my First Computer, Need Help on Basics

Last response: in Systems
May 19, 2011 8:48:54 PM

So... Here is the build. Basically I want to know what I am missing or what can be substituted that is better, or more cost efficient etc. I would greatly appreciate your help. (so you know, I had a Cyberpower computer on order and cancelled it to build my own computer.)

- HAF X Case - 199.99
- i5 2500k (planning to OC to 4ghz) - 224.99
- Corsair H70 (I want to mount it as exhaust in the 140mm slot in the back) - 104.81
- GIGABYTE GA-P67-UD4 (does this allow a slot of room between my crossfire cards?) - 179.99
- G-SKILL Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600 - 94.99
- Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850w (will I need power cable extensions for my large case? This psu is partially modular) - 164.99
- 2x PowerColor 6950 2GB in Crossfire (I went with them for their great cooling, I am not interested in the 6950->6970 conversion. Maybe just the shaders unlock if possible) - 269.99 each
- Sony Optiarc DVD Burner - 23.99
- Kingston SSD V+100 SVP100S2 96GB - 149.99 (plus $50 rebate, so its very cheap)
- I will be supplying my own HDDs i want to have 3-4 in this computer.
- Sunbeam PL-RS-3 Rheosmart 3 Fan Controller (30W Channel) (Will this be able to run my fans full power without burning out the controller?) - 25.99
- 3x Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 120mm fans (2 to replace the fans on the H70, and 1 to install in the VGA duct in the HAF X) - 12.99 each
- Rosewill RNX-N180PCe Wireless N Adapter - 19.99

Misc:
- 3x Rosewill 12'' fan extenders (are these them? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) Will i need these to control the H70 setup in exhaust and the VGA Air Duct? - 2.99 each
- 2x Nippon Labs Ultra Thin SATA II 1M Cables (for HDDs? How many do i need? Will I need one each for the DVD drive, the SSD and all of my HDDs?) 5.49 each
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - 11.98

TOTAL: 1800.60 (not including any of the many rebates.)

So! I need to know what else do I need to buy? Assume this is my first build (because it is, lol) and I have NOTHING, no cables, no NOTHING to supplement building this computer. EX. Are there special tools I will need to do so? cables that do not come with these components? etc.

You can assume that I understand most things electronic, or pick up very fast. I just have never built a computer before.
May 19, 2011 9:00:59 PM

Other than some cable management such as sleeving to keep the wires from being cluttered as much.
http://www.xoxide.com/techflex5.html *this is a better grade than most*
Also check that the layout of the motherboard sata ports don't cross paths with the cards or hard drives is another since that card is known to be very long.
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2011 9:38:30 PM

I would go with the z68 version of that board and combo it with the processor. Any old DVD burner will be fine the LG 24x one is 19.99 with free shipping on newegg. You M/B should come with at least four sata cables. The corsair H60 is quite a bit cheaper dunno about a performance comparison though. And the corsair comes with thermal compound pre-applied so unless you want to take the time removing it you don't need thermal compound.

Here some ram with promo codes one ends today and the other on 5/23:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And yes it looks like there will be one open slot between your cards since there are two x1 slots between the x16 slots and your cards are dual slot cards.
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:04:59 PM

wow! Great suggestions! Thank you! I didn't know new boards had come out within the last few weeks, and getting it as a combo deal is 25 dollars cheaper with the new board.

AND the coupon code saves me 20 bucks on ram!!

Thank you very much
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:09:38 PM

My pleasure! That's my only complaint for newegg, it seems like as soon as I purchase something they put it (or something better) on sale. That is gonna be one heck of a build, you should be able to go well beyond 4Ghz, newegg tv had an i7 at 5.2Ghz on a hyper 212+.
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:12:13 PM

row 3 (white sata) might be clipped a little on the cables when they feed up but not much so be sure to plug up before you drop you cards in .^.^
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:18:14 PM

If you wanted you could plug all your fans into the M/B, it has two system fan headers as well as a power fan header. You can buy these cables if you need more connections to M/B:

They are out of stock right now but you can get them off ebay also.
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:26:02 PM

TitusFFX said:
row 3 (white sata) might be clipped a little on the cables when they feed up but not much so be sure to plug up before you drop you cards in .^.^

by feed up... maybe I don't understand that. I see where the white ones are, shouldn't they just route straight over and up a little to the drive at the front of the HAF X case? do you mean that this will happen?

imagine looking through the plexiglass from the side you are describing something like this

THISISTHEVIDEOCARD
Whitesataports (crude drawing... yes. lol)

that they would overlap? Meaning cables might not reach up?

mlcaouette said:
If you wanted you could plug all your fans into the M/B, it has two system fan headers as well as a power fan header. You can buy these cables if you need more connections to M/B:

They are out of stock right now but you can get them off ebay also.

I was looking into running fans from the MB and was worried that something just wouldn't work. I don't know why. I read about using software to control it all etc. but would running 3 high powered fans off the MB be ok? and would i be able to control all of their speeds? and the 3 pin y cables, does that put more strain on the MB or not by adding fans, does it not work like that? Because I know that fan controllers can only have so many per channel.
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:34:39 PM

When you use the splitters it will run the two fans connected to it at the same speed, I dunno about the stress on the M/B but I think a high end board like the one your getting should be able to handle it. A positive to software control is you can just set goal temps and the computer will alter the fan speed based on measured temps.
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:42:20 PM

Oh I just ment that it would shorten the length of them and also make it a really tight fit if you tried to add on while the card is in, but should really be a problem.
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:52:15 PM

I don't think you will need the extra long sata cables the ones that came with my M/B were 19inchs long and two (of the four) should have right angle plugs on one end.
m
l
May 19, 2011 10:58:52 PM

Ok, great information on the sata cables for the DVD drive, if I do end up having length problems ill look into these options.

As for fans.. Im thinking about not going with the Ultra Kaze 3000, looks like they have problems when undervolted, which might be the issue with most 120mm 38mm fans, so Im looking for other options around the 2000RPM range, any ideas?

Looking at these maybe

I want Gentletyphoons, but I can't find them in stock anywhere for less than a million dollars a fan..
m
l
May 19, 2011 11:44:56 PM

Thank you for the links. All the gentletyphoons i could find were around 25 or so, way too expensive. I will look into the other fans you suggested
m
l
May 19, 2011 11:47:55 PM

actually that first link i had was the Gentle Typhoons lol but they were still 18.99 compaired to some just as strong for much less and made the same way.
m
l
May 20, 2011 5:11:37 PM

Ok! A few more questions. I did some coupon hunting and got a killer deal on a xspc rasa 360 rad water cooler with dual bay res and decided to go with that. Now... The question being.

I am going to mount it ontop inside the case under the 200mm fan, will a WC system work best if I use the 200mm fans to pull air out and three fans to push air through? Or should I remove the 200mm fans and have 3 120mms pulling air through?
m
l
May 20, 2011 5:35:00 PM

My best guess would be whichever covers the most surface area on the radiator and has the highest CFM. I don't think you would want the fan to extend past the edges of the radiator otherwise most the air would be pulled from there due to the lower resistance.
m
l
May 20, 2011 5:42:33 PM

Elmateo, you know that people are hitting 4.5 GHz and above on air right? Heck with the Intel® Core™ I5-2500K you can hit 4 GHz on the stock cooler if you don't mind a little extra noise. Unless you are in a hot environment I would just go with a cooler like the Cooler Master hyper 212+.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
May 20, 2011 6:24:23 PM

I forgot to say. I got the 360 rad because I will eventually be watercooling the crossfire vgas. So.. i figured get myself a headstart and down the road add a 120 or 240 depending on what I will need. Thank you for the suggestion though!

and mlCaouette, that does make sense, probably better to do push pull 6 fans, which I will have because I ordered some better fans.
m
l
May 20, 2011 8:43:19 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Elmateo, you know that people are hitting 4.5 GHz and above on air right? Heck with the Intel® Core™ I5-2500K you can hit 4 GHz on the stock cooler if you don't mind a little extra noise. Unless you are in a hot environment I would just go with a cooler like the Cooler Master hyper 212+.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Yep, been tested and comfirmed to hold up nice. Hit 4.5 on stock voltages. Currently running 4.8@1.33v that sits around 55-60C after 20 cycles of prime95 (under a HK 3.0 WB)

Running with a Coolermaster hyper N520 stays around 34C idle, 55C full load under 4.0ghz normal fan settings.
m
l
!