Liquid Cooling for Coolmaster HAF X system

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontpullajeff

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hello,

I made a new build about 2 months ago for gaming but it's running a bit hot, even with all the fans on it so I am looking into liquid cooling. Unfortunately, this was my first build and I don't really know about what all is needed for a full liquid cooling system. I have a flexible budget so any suggestions are welcome as to what parts are needed. Below are the specs:

Coolmaster HAF X case
Intel i7 2600K 3.40GHz
Corsair 2x4GB 1333MHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 590
240GB SSD

It seems to be the video card that gets the hottest so any tips on how to cool that in particular would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
I also completed my i series build a month or so ago, not my first build however. All builds are air cool at this point. I have the same case and relatively the same components. first off, I'm not sure how your components can be running hot considering the air flow in the HAF X. But not sure what you are considering hot. For me, I added another 200mm fan to the top, a 120mm fan to the VGA fan dock for my two cards, and my cpu is cooled by a Corsair H50. I haven't seen either of my cards go past 50-51c under stress and my cpu is overclocked to 4.7Ghz and under stress doesn't break 75c but still needs voltage tweaking. If your adding a full water cool system to greatly lower your temps which may not be considered to high, then a few more...

silent54

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I also completed my i series build a month or so ago, not my first build however. All builds are air cool at this point. I have the same case and relatively the same components. first off, I'm not sure how your components can be running hot considering the air flow in the HAF X. But not sure what you are considering hot. For me, I added another 200mm fan to the top, a 120mm fan to the VGA fan dock for my two cards, and my cpu is cooled by a Corsair H50. I haven't seen either of my cards go past 50-51c under stress and my cpu is overclocked to 4.7Ghz and under stress doesn't break 75c but still needs voltage tweaking. If your adding a full water cool system to greatly lower your temps which may not be considered to high, then a few more fans and a better cpu cooler will do great and save money (less than $100 maybe).

However, as you I'm looking towards a full water cool system for my build. For me, its to add flash to my build and I haven't done a water cool system in any of my builds. So, I want to do one. Below is a link to a series of how to videos starting from the basics of what you need, to how to install. They are pretty informative but you have to take the suggestions and tailor to your needs. You may not require everything suggested or as much. You can then go to sites like Frozencpu and put your parts list together based on your requirements. Liquid cooling isn't cheap. My take assuming that you are looking to cool only your CPU, video with possibility RAM (you didn't list any overclocking numbers), then a one reservoir with either a 240 or 360 radiator should be more than enough with radiator fans in a push/pull config. If you are overclocking and looking to cool more components then you may need an additional radiator or possibly dual flow systems. If you believe you need a dual flow system, there are some reservoirs that support two systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_Ui8H4dRs
http://www.frozencpu.com/

Solution
1) How hot is hot? Video cards run hot, and they are built to do so.
What is your idle/load cpu temperatures? Ditto for the graphics card.

2) What cpu cooler are you using? The Intel stock cooler is not very good under load.
Also, pushpin mounts are notoriously hard to install properly. A $30 aftermarket cooler like the $30 Xigmatek gaia or CM hyper 212 will get you all the cooling you need short of record seeking overclocks.

3) Realize that liquid cooling is really air cooling. The only difference is where the cooler to air heat exchange is done.
As a first time builder, I suggest you reconsider liquid cooling, saving yourself the expense and issues. Your case has very good airflow, you should have no problems as it is.

dontpullajeff

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Right now I haven't bothered overclocking the CPU or GPU simply because they don't need it yet, they keep up on highest settings without flinching. The heating problem isn't even so much mine as my girlfriend's; it heats up the room, especially during the day. I will look into getting an aftermarket cooler for the CPU and try mounting the VGA fan and see how it does with those. Considering how quiet it has been I may even try upping the fan speed and see how that works. Thanks for the suggestions guys and if I need any more help I know where to come! :)

dontpullajeff

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

there is one listed on http://www.frozencpu.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.