Motherboard and Hyper 212+

sam_fisher

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

I've got a 212 and it comfortably covers the first slot. If you didn't have heat spreaders on the RAM it would fit though.

jtomsh

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Great, thanks for the responses. The only other questions I have are:

1. Is it a problem (i.e. will it cause it overheating or other issues) by having the cooler hang over the ram slot like that?

2. Do you have any suggestions for good ram (preferably DDR3 1600) that doesn't have the heat spreaders that I should buy?

Thanks again! You guys are the best.

InvalidError

Titan

The heat-spreader on most DIMMs is not a problem since they sit within the PCB's footprint. The potential problem is fins if the 212's footprint covers DIMM slots. In that case, mounting the 212 vertically (front-to-back airflow instead of bottom-up) may also be an option if you have the clearance to the GPU and other surrounding components.

The bottom fin on my 212+ clears the top of my "normal profile" DIMM by about 1/4" so vertical clearance of fins-free DIMMs should not be a problem. Horizontal clearance might be more of a problem on some boards due to heat pipes but on my board, that clearance is around 3/4".

sam_fisher

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
If you wanted the stuff with the heat spreaders you could always mount the CPU fan on the other side of the cooler. That way it would be in a pull instead of push configuration. Not sure how that would affect temps though.

InvalidError

Titan

Changing which side of the HSF the fan is attached to does nothing to get the 212's fins out of the DIMM's way when mounted horizontally (vertical airflow) if the DIMMs are that close to the 212. Only way around that is to try fitting the 212 vertically (front-to-back airflow) and see if there is enough clearance to fit the 212 that way, in which case its fins and fan(s) would come nowhere near the DIMMs... but might come close to other stuff like the GPU (unless the x16 actually is at 2nd slot position) and blowhole fan.

sam_fisher

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Whoops I had a look then, it's the fan that sits above the DIMM, not the fins of the cooler (there's plenty of clearance from them). This is when mounted for horizontal air flow (front of case to back).