Can't get GTX 570 + GTS 250 (dedicated Physx) to run Stable

karan_kewlz

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Guys, i really need help with this. I recently bought a GTX 570 to replace my GTS 250 512 MB. The problem is that I can't get the GTX 570 to run with the GTS 250 as a dedicated Physx card. Till now I have tried the 263.09 and the 266.58 WHQL drivers and the setup is relatively stable on 263.09 rather than 266.58, though my PC does crash after 10 min or so, unlike when using just the GTX 570. My PC DOESN'T CRASH AT ALL on using just the GTX 570 OR GTS 250 (I ran intel burn test, MSI Kombustor, Metro 2033 maxed out, Crysis 8x AA and Very high).

My specs are :
Q9550 2.83 Ghz stock
MSI P7N2 ( Nvidia 790i Ultra SLI)
Corsair dominator 1600 Mhz Cas 8
Coolermaster SLI certified Real power pro 850 watt
Adequate cooling, ambient temps are 20 C
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Out of desperation I even tried to connect the cards by SLI bridge, that did seem to help a little bit. I even reseated the GTS 250 in the remaining x16 and x8 (lanes) slots and seating it in the x8 lane slot seems to add to stability. I am not interested in selling the GTS 250 and want to use it as a physx card.

SO, How do I get the GTX 570 + GTS 250 (dedicated Physx) to be completely stable ????

I hope someone will com through :) , apologies for a long post though. Please Help guys.

karan_kewlz

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
chech this out, I just played crysis for say 10 min and as per HWmonitor the max +12V voltage was 5.19V. The game didn't crash nor did the PC itself. Also, as per my detailed PSU specs, I have 6, yes 6 +12V rails, so we don't know which rail's voltages are being displayed. I have had this PC for almost 2 years now and have have completed games like crysis, crysis warhead, COD 4 and 6 on the GTS 250 (a fairly nice card) on the same config except the GTX 570 without crashes instability in whatsoever form, so I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the PSU. What's your verdict on this ?

PSU should be enough if it's not defective, but those voltage numbers are weird. Try to check voltages for the video cards using GPU-Z from techpowerup.com. You might want to update your motherboard drivers/BIOS.

Also check that you have PhysX configured properly in the Nvidia Control Panel.

What PhysX games are you playing besides Metro 2033?

Are you overclocking your GTX 570?

karan_kewlz

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
As per manufacturer's site, I have the latest BIOS
None of the components and for that matter the GTX 570 itself hasn't been overclocked
GTS 250 is already set as Physx Card
At the moment I have tried only Metro 2033, but the config crashes other games like Crysis as well, unlike earlier.

dont read the 12v from the card. get hwmonitor and use that. also, have you checked the temperatures of the cards? have you got adequate ventilation in your case? DONT cnnect the sli bridge, you are not running sli here. Make sure your psu is hooked up correctly so that each gfx card has its own rail from the psu. you probably want the gtx570 to have 2 rails to itself. dont use power connector adaptors or anything.

invictuz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Have you reset you PCIe bandwidth in the BIOS since swapping cards?

In my SLI i ran x16 +1

After swapping to GTX570 + Physx card (8800GTX)
i 1st set it to x8+x8, rebooted, then back to resolve issue with BSoD.