Sign in with
Your question

Whats my bottleneck

Last response: in Components
August 15, 2011 12:35:15 AM

Hey guys
I am about to buy my system
I wanted to know if there any bottlenecks in my system ?

Motherboard- GA-Z68A-D3-B3
Ram G-skill 8GB DDR3
Cpu Intel i5 2500k
Cpu Cooler Artic Freezer 7
HDD Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ
DVD/CD Lite on iHAS224
Case NZXT Lexa S
PSU GX 650W
GPU XFX 6870 Black Edition
WIFI- Tenda N300

More about : whats bottleneck

August 15, 2011 2:04:44 AM

Technically the 2500k will bottleneck most graphics cards from what I have heard. It's really that powerful some say.

However, at resolutions up to 1080p that system should max out most games.
August 15, 2011 2:25:13 AM

^? the 2500k wont bottleneck anything. if you had sli/crossfire your mobo would use 2 8x pci lanes instead of 2 16x. but with one gpu your good.

your build looks great! enjoy it ;) 
Related resources
August 15, 2011 2:48:22 AM

What psu is a "GX 650w", if its a coolermaster, ditch it and get something that is actually good like antec seasonic or xfx. apart from that its a pretty decent system. The only other issue i can see is if you expect to play crysis 2 in dx11 mode at max settings at 1080p, then the video card is not enough and you may want to re-adjust things. like get a slower cpu in return for more gpu power.
August 15, 2011 3:30:14 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
What psu is a "GX 650w", if its a coolermaster, ditch it and get something that is actually good like antec seasonic or xfx. apart from that its a pretty decent system. The only other issue i can see is if you expect to play crysis 2 in dx11 mode at max settings at 1080p, then the video card is not enough and you may want to re-adjust things. like get a slower cpu in return for more gpu power.

What other GPUs do you recommend ?
August 15, 2011 3:30:32 AM

David 617 said:
^? the 2500k wont bottleneck anything. if you had sli/crossfire your mobo would use 2 8x pci lanes instead of 2 16x. but with one gpu your good.

Thanks mate :) 
August 15, 2011 4:11:30 AM

David 617 said:

Yeah, I worded that wrong. I meant that the 2500k is so powerful it won't hold back most graphic cards. This is what happens when I try to watch a movie and post on these forums on my iPad all at once I guess :( 
August 15, 2011 4:52:37 AM

trogdor796 said:
Yeah, I worded that wrong. I meant that the 2500k is so powerful it won't hold back most graphic cards. This is what happens when I try to watch a movie and post on these forums on my iPad all at once I guess :( 

Haha its alright mate :D 
August 15, 2011 4:28:36 PM

Well i suppose comparatively speaking, the weakest components on your system in order will be 1st your Hard drive & 2nd your GPU.

However it will still make a great PC as it is.
August 15, 2011 4:33:56 PM

Depends on what type of bottle neck at what angle

overclocking/temperature/heat bottleneck
I'd say get a better cooler,, arctic freezer is OK, but something from scythe would be better for only a few dollars more. <--- the biggest recommendation from me

User experience bottleneck
your only true bottle neck will be no SSD - but that is more a budgetary thing and can be added later. <--- #2 recommendation

video card is good but will be your "gaming" bottleneck but can easily be fixed up as budget allows as well with addition of second card or something better later
August 16, 2011 12:11:35 AM

monkeysweat said:
Depends on what type of bottle neck at what angle

overclocking/temperature/heat bottleneck
I'd say get a better cooler,, arctic freezer is OK, but something from scythe would be better for only a few dollars more. <--- the biggest recommendation from me

User experience bottleneck
your only true bottle neck will be no SSD - but that is more a budgetary thing and can be added later. <--- #2 recommendation

video card is good but will be your "gaming" bottleneck but can easily be fixed up as budget allows as well with addition of second card or something better later

Oh well i cant really afford a ssd yet but i will be using it for a gaming pc so i dont think faster boot
What gpu do you recommend?
August 16, 2011 12:12:06 AM

Uther39 said:
Well i suppose comparatively speaking, the weakest components on your system in order will be 1st your Hard drive & 2nd your GPU.

However it will still make a great PC as it is.

What GPU Do you recommend
August 16, 2011 7:08:48 AM

What price range are you looking to stay in for the GPU?
August 16, 2011 7:58:04 AM

I think a 6950 or a gtx560ti would serve you better.
August 16, 2011 8:11:41 AM

There is nothing wrong with your GPU and I would not bother replacing it unless your gaming at very high resolution or on multiple monoitors. People are just saying that your CPU is so strong that if there is a bottleneck its in the GPU and unless you had a 590GTX they would say the same whatever card you had (and it would be true).
August 16, 2011 8:36:45 AM

simon is of course correct, its all comparatively speaking according to your cpu.
August 16, 2011 2:12:06 PM

ribs333 said:
Oh well i cant really afford a ssd yet but i will be using it for a gaming pc so i dont think faster boot
What gpu do you recommend?

What's your budget?? I recommend a better cooler first and foremost something from Scythe (i really like em and always recommend) pretty much anything that fits your case and budget will work - i have a katana, 40$ and quiet/cool - the mugen is even better but doesnt fit my case

if you can't afford the SSD yet, that is fine if you'd prefer a better card,, but I would say 560ti or a 570 would be good enough for most resolutions at high quality type settings, I don't think you'd want anything more as it is alot of money for something that probably won't be worth it for you. - you can always SLI later, too
!