Sign in with
Your question

P8Z77-V won't shut down or reboot!

Last response: in Motherboards
May 2, 2012 7:37:03 AM

My problem seems to be the reverse of the usual "I can't boot". The system boots and runs great with a brand new i7-3770K Ivy Bridge CPU. I've upgraded the BIOS to 0906 (latest on website) along with all the available drivers.

I am running Win7 x64. When I go to reboot the system, it goes all the way to "Shutting Down"... then there's a little pop from the speakers, which is usually the last thing before the system resets, and then.... nothing. It stays there forever until I hit the system reset button on the case.

If I look in the Windows System log, I can see that the Kernel Power Manager has indeed initiated a "shutdown transition" followed by the "OS shutting down at <time>..." message, and the OS thinks the machine has shut off. So of course the question is... why doesn't it?

Andy

More about : p8z77 shut reboot

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2012 8:37:09 AM

remove out all of your ram sticks for a while then put it back tightly!
m
l
May 2, 2012 3:08:59 PM

I'm pretty sure that ain't it.
m
l
Related resources
May 6, 2012 5:32:10 PM

Hello everybody... I have the same problem with Asus P8Z77-V, i5 2500K and bios 0906... I update bios to 1050, but still problem... Any idea...?
Regards... ;-)
m
l
May 6, 2012 6:04:26 PM

alfreire said:
Hello everybody... I have the same problem with Asus P8Z77-V, i5 2500K and bios 0906... I update bios to 1050, but still problem... Any idea...?
Regards... ;-)

I solved my problem with a complete Cmos reset and eliminated all overclocking (which I hadn't realized had somehow been applied in my early mucking around.) hasn't happened since. I have been VERY CAREFULLY reapplying a limited amount of overclocking since, and it hasn't reoccurred.
m
l
May 6, 2012 6:09:55 PM

Thank you for your help, I will try complete bios reset...
Regards... ;-)
m
l
May 6, 2012 6:42:31 PM

I reset bios cmos and work perfectly... X-D Thank you very much...
Regards... ;-)
m
l
May 26, 2012 3:02:16 PM

I´ve had the same problem (PC gets stuck/doesn't shutdown after Windows shutdown/reboot), when I set the iGPU as primary display in the BIOS settings!

If primary display is set to Auto or PCIE the problem doesn't occur/PC shuts down properly (But auto-setting doesn't set the display to iGPU in my case).

Regards.

UPDATE: In my case this Problem seems to be also correlates with the actual NVIDIA driver shutdown problem with the GTX 6x Series -> NVIDIA driver update to 301.42 did solve the problem; shutdown with primary display set to iGPU works now (btw: BIOS is 0906).

But the above 'workaround' did also help ...
m
l
June 20, 2012 7:58:39 PM

Just to say thanks - I had the same problem and clearing the CMOS worked for me.

Clearing the CMOS was easy - all details were in the User Guide.

I have an Asus P8Z77-V and it was my first build (last PC was bought in 2005!) so am very relieved to get it fixed.

m
l
May 6, 2013 2:41:13 PM

I registered just to +1 this. I bought this Mobo and I didn't OC anything (but I did make a big of the fluff of installation - first time - only thing I can think of why the memory needed flushing). Flashing the CMOS by using the methods in the manual (2-17 in mine) sorted the issue. MY PC SHUTS DOWN!! Thanks
m
l
!