Closed Solved

Need i7 3770k Motherboard Suggestions

If there is one component of a computer that confuses me the most, it is the motherboard. My current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7D2i

Future plans:
Add 2 more sticks of 8GB 1600MHz RAM (4x8GB total)
Add a second Radeon 7970

I'm trying to keep this build around $1500, but I still need to choose a motherboard and case. I'm not entirely sure what to look for when it comes to motherboards, so any motherboard suggestions?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need 3770k motherboard suggestions
  1. Hi there,

    I would not add the RAM later. Use 1 kit, it saves the trouble.

    Read this @ http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-gd65-z77h2-a2x,3187.html
  2. Best answer
    I would go with this one ASUS P8Z77-V PRO


    The ASUS P8Z77-V PRO is a top mid-range motherboard, and therefore targeted to the user who wants more features than mainstream motherboards provide, such as three PCI Express x16 slots, eight USB 3.0 ports, a Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11b/g/n card, and an above-average voltage regulator circuit.
    The only feature that we didn't like about the P8Z77-V PRO was the choice of audio codec. Since it is a top mid-range product, we'd expect it to use a high-end codec such as the ALC898 or the ALC889, which provide a higher signal-to-noise ratio. On the other hand, if you are not going to work professionally with audio editing or converting analog audio to digital format, that won't be a problem for you.
    If you want even more features, you may consider the ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE, which brings the following advantages over the PRO model and costs USD 50 more:
    • Realtek ALC898 audio codec (higher signal-to-noise ratio)
    • The Wi-Fi card is dual-band with two antennas, achieving higher performance on IEEE 802.11n networks
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • Two Gigabit Ethernet ports instead of only one
    • Presence of a PLX switch chip, allowing higher performance when several data transfers are being executed at the same time
    • POST diagnostics display
    • Two eSATA-600 ports
    N. Button for the "BIOS Flashback" function located on the motherboard rear panel
    • Voltage regulator circuit with more phases
    The PRO model, however, has VGA and DVI-I outputs, connectors not available on the DELUXE model.
    Of course, if you don't need all the extra features available on the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, such as additional USB 3.0 ports, a third PCI Express x16 slot, and a Wi-Fi card, you can pick a more affordable product.

    Review here
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASUS-P8Z77-V-PRO-Motherboard/1529/1
  3. So I'm pretty much just looking at the Asus, MSi, and ASRock. It seems like the MSi ($180 @ NCIX) has fit issues (the only reason I'm not definitely going with it). The ASRock ($170) is somewhat inconsistent and uses the slower USB 3.0 controller for at least some of its ports. The Asus seems to have very little problems, but is also $223 @ NCIX.
  4. Also, do I have to get the z77 chipset? Should I even worry about other chipsets even if I can get others?
  5. mxrcdude said:
    Also, do I have to get the z77 chipset? Should I even worry about other chipsets even if I can get others?

    Don't u want to have fast set up?

    Its also feature rich and it has the latest goodies.
  6. mxrcdude said:
    So I'm pretty much just looking at the Asus, MSi, and ASRock. It seems like the MSi ($180 @ NCIX) has fit issues (the only reason I'm not definitely going with it). The ASRock ($170) is somewhat inconsistent and uses the slower USB 3.0 controller for at least some of its ports. The Asus seems to have very little problems, but is also $223 @ NCIX.

    All 3 are good mobos. Similar in the quality.

    Get the one that is close to your budget.

    I am sure u want be disappointed.
  7. I just wanted to check to make sure the chipset I was planning on using was the right choice. All three are in my budget (w/ the Asus pushing it), which is why I'm trying to get opinions on each.
  8. Asus or ASrock

    i am bulding my pc and i am going to buy ASrock.

    Even tough asus is a higer price, it comes with more options.

    but ASrock is just as good.

    what is your budget?
  9. mxrcdude said:
    I just wanted to check to make sure the chipset I was planning on using was the right choice. All three are in my budget (w/ the Asus pushing it), which is why I'm trying to get opinions on each.



    Go for Asus. is better than Msi, and ASrock. get it if you can afforded.
  10. I went with the Asus P8Z77-V PRO for $200. Thank you guys.
  11. Best answer selected by mxrcdude.
  12. mxrcdude said:
    I went with the Asus P8Z77-V PRO for $200. Thank you guys.



    good lucks.
  13. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Intel i7 Build Product