Intel to Offer CPU Upgrades via Software for Selected Models

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Intel® Upgrade Service offers three different upgrades on second generation Core processors: Intel® Core™ i3-2312M processor, Intel® Core™ i3-2102 processor, and Intel® Pentium® G622 processor.

CPU Before Upgrade: After Upgrade: Benefits with the Upgrade:
Intel® Core™ i3-2312M Processor Intel® Core™ i3-2393M Processor Increased Processor frequency and cache
Intel® Core™ i3-2102 Processor Intel® Core™ i3-2153 Processor Increased Processor frequency
Intel® Pentium® G622 Processor Intel® Pentium® G693 Processor Increased Processor frequency

I wonder if these CPUs can be unlocked to fuller potential without having to go to Intel ;)

Also it shows that how much potential is locked away in SNB CPUs.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
one day im sure they will produce some form of processor which will be upgraded / unlocked by paying extra..

if the chip is manufactured right then you pay to unlock what you can afford.

for this to happen the os will need to work closely with the chip manufacturer

imagine downloading a update patch to convert a dual core to a quad or even a 6 core.

there will be of course someone reverse engineering this but i guess it will need some sort of hack to make it work on a pc which is connected to the internet.

is this the future of processors ?

fslateef

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Seems like they are going to do similar like games DLCs but here they will unlock more CPU functionality.

Which in my opinion is _fair_ as you are initially paying much less for low-end requirements as compare to others who paid lot more for high-end; so paying for unlocking high-end features is fine if someone need them later.