Asus crosshair iv formula CPU led fails to boot

uriel m

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hi hope someone could help me with this issue.
I have a Asus crosshair iv formula with ddr3 patriot 1600
A 850 watt psu a h70 water cooler

And the issue I'm haveing is that when I first bought this board I was haveing issues booting

I would from time to time reseat the CPU a phenom 6 1055t
And it would boot . At first it would fail to boot ateast once a week
Then slowly it turned out to more frecuent CPU reseats.
Once my computer booted it would shoe 33 c on the CPU and tanned perfect
After 6 months of use it would take me a full day to get it to start.
And when I got it to start moving the cooler and reapplying CPU themal paste it would start working again .
But now that does not even work .
I took it out of the case and left CPU .cooler and ram graphics card but still it was stuck on CPU led .
I presses on the led go button and it would flash beetween CPU dram and mem ok.
After messing with it for hours I got it to turn on green lights turned on and It started outside the case .
This is the most expensive motherboard I have ever bought and the most troubling motherboard I have ever head .
My question I's since I can't afford both motherboard and CPU for testing
What was your thoughts CPU or maybe defected motherboard ?
Please help

Something is wrong because all fans spin nomal
I have built many pcs in the past and have never had thi issue
If the motherboard and CPU was bad then why did it turn on once ? Outside the case . Put it back together then it didn't turn on .
Then took it apart again and did not turn on again could s defective CPU cooler cause the CPU led ?
Please help thank you

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Sounds like the MB is starting to die, or the CPU is. I'd say call ASUS to RMA the MB and see if the replacement fixes this issue. If this doesn't fix it, try the stock (or other) HSF. If it's still down, then the CPU may be dying.

This way you don't have to buy a new MB.

uriel m

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
My motherboard is over the 6 month period for a Rma also the CPU
I'm trying to see if it's the motherboard or CPU , the CPU has never been overclocked the motherboard no burnt smells. And before when I got it started it would start fine until the Next cold reboot so strange

uriel m

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I see that Asus offers a 3 year warranty
Does anyone know if you need a reciept for a. Rma and also I have a sma scratch by the CPU cooler socket were the heatsink goes
Would that affect my warranty even tho I had the issue before the scratch ?

uriel m

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
its a scratch not too not to deep its right next to the hole were the socket goes does not apear to have damaged anything prolly a quarter deep of a fingernail
the problem started before the scratch tho.

uriel m

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
i read somewhere that asus crosshair sometimes came with that defect of the cpu led error. if my cpu was fryed it wouldnt had bdooted like that i am geting this

ASUS M4N68T-M V2 AMD NVIDIA 7025 AM3 Motherboard

for replacement cheap to see if its the motherboard or procesor i never really used all the crosshair features dont know why but always been scared to even overclock my cpu is it a waste of money ? to buy another crosshair iv ?
or should i just stick to this one , and wait for price drop in the case that that they denied my rma ?

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
The scratch shouldn't be an issue, had a friend RMA one (Gigabyte) after his WC loop basically exploded. They took it, no problem. As long as the scratch doesn't cover any of the pathways, you'll be fine (re-attach the backplate, and retention bracket before sending it BTW).

uriel m

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Thank you I put the original retention bracket back In
And stock CPU cooler and
Fired
Up
Could
The h70 cooler be failing ? And cause it to trigger the CPU led ? I'm going to wait a bit and see if it's fires up again
Does a h70 have. A CPU sensor that if
It's failing it won't pass CPU ?