CM Hyper212+ cooler
p8p67 rev 3 (not pro or deluxe)
4gigs ddr3 1600 cas 9 CORSAIR xms3
XFX HD6850 (not black edition)
500g Hitachi HD
dvd/rw drive
500w Corsair PSU
Storm Scout case by Coolermaster

all these parts were total to be under $650 or something, without including tax (got it all from Microcenter, case from craigslist (new))

I also have an Old computer, I will reference the *** here as "old computer" and "new computer" for stuff up there. Important specs are the gpu is 4850, the psu is antec phantom 500w. Was working prior.

So the problem?
So i got the computer up and running, perfect, running witcher 2 on High, Ultra but almost unplayable, sc2 on max etc. Decide that I want to transfer old files from old HDD via sata. So i power off comp, turn off the switch on psu and unplug the sata and power from the cd drive. After pluggin the sata and power into the old HDD, The computer wouldnt boot. No post, no bios screen. The computer wouldnt even turn on. It would power on but only for a second and off (the fans would work and then shut off). The green LED standby light was on for the mobo though.

So i test out the original New comp parts, same prob as above. Then i take out my old psu and put it in the new comp, connect the important stuff, same problem.

I eval that the motherboard is dead, I take it back to Microcenter and return and exchange for the same model. I get home, hook it all up. Even used new thermal paste that I bought, Artic 4. Turn the power on, the computer would power on, all fans run, HDD spins, GPU fan is running but no post. I later take off the heatsink to feel if the processor was heating (meaning it was working). It heated up, so it was not flat out dead at least.

I test out the old GPU on the new cpu, no good. same prob. Now heres the really fucked up part. I tested the new GPU on my old cpu, same prob on the diff comp. Tried old GPU on Old Comp, same prob. Now the biggest "*** you" was that I used a 3rd video card, a geforce 5600 gts or something, SAME PROB. That GPU never touched the new computer.... So now I somehow fucked my old computer.

Also I tested using a different monitor as well, same problem, no signal.

I am going to return and exchange EVERYTHING. I cant really determine if the PSU is fucked but I aint gonna risk it, just gonna get new parts. I might even return and exchange the 2nd mobo, since cpu hardware is very suceptible to getting fucked over voltage changes, PSU can *** everything up. But how does this relate to my old computer? thethe new psu ever touched the old system. Especially since I tested it with an old old video card and got the same problem.

I am going to call it a night, recheck the wiring and connections (Though I am sure they are right). Possibly try a different outlet?

my big questions are:
1. Can a bad mobo *** up a PSU? I thought the PSU does all the *******.
2. The New PSU never touched the old computer, aside from the 4850/old GPU in there. So really how can it be bad? Like it powers the *** on now because of the newer motherboard.

I did all the CMOS resets and ***. I cant really figure this *** out. Can anyone help?

anhtice

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
im gonna return/exchange the PSU. I believe thats the root of the prob. Now do i need to return/exchange the new mobo? Ive only hooked it up for about 1hr and it didnt work.. but the fan worked though :D

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

More than likely an outlet or PSU problem.

I couldn't imagine being in your position, I'd be ripping my hair out.

Hope everything works out.

anhtice

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

the prob isnt that simple. the 2nd sortie on new and old gave me fans running but no post. so there is at least power flowing. The new PSU never came in touch or was never connected to the third video card, the gts nvidia card, that I used to test. So how does that video card being tested on the OLD gpu fail?

I will return and exchange the PSU though. IT can also be a bad CPU too ;/

The CPU heats up but... it doesnt mean it works properly lol

tubers

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
Not a PRO here:

Did you make sure all the stand offs are in place(MoBO)?

Maybe it's a short?

Make sure to ground yourself..

Had a similar problem before.. turns out one of the power supply cables to the mobo wasn't inserted well.

all fans, lights, case fans on... but no monitor signal.

GL OP.

anhtice

Distinguished
May 20, 2011

well there are only 3 connectors, the 24 pin, 6pin and pci-e 4pin.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished

Corsair is a quality product but even thay have failure rates. Anyway they are not a manufacturer. Antec is good but they are also only designers (like Corsair) and not manufacturers.

Seasonic is probably the gold standard of manufacturers, but get a Bronze of better (preferrably a gold) PSU.