Sign in with
Your question

P4 not working on ASUS G41, But in the manual it is given compatible

Last response: in Motherboards
May 2, 2012 3:03:51 PM

hello,

I have a P4 machine and recently my ddr1 motherboard stopped working. I tried to make a computer using the P4 processor i had by taking a compatible motherboard.

I found ASUS G41 motherboad and in the Manual it is given that it will support all the intel pentium series processors. This is a DDR3 motherboard

I started my computer with my P4 processor, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, with windows xp, but computer is showing the following problems

day1 and day2 of installing operating system - system is working fine

day3 and day 4 - system restarts very frequently

After day 5 - system boots shows windows logo and then again restarts and soon........

if i format my system completely including all the drives of the HDD system would run fine for two days and again the same problem is showing up.

I took my CPU to the vendor and he said that processor is not compatible, motherboard is fine.

Please Advice, I'm right now running without a computer......

Thanks in advance.....

a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2012 3:59:46 PM

Quote:
I took my CPU to the vendor and he said that processor is not compatible, motherboard is fine.

And you think he is lying to you??

Pentium 4 is not compatible with DDR3.

For about $130 (US) you can get a H61 mobo and a Pentium G620 and you can use the DDR3 that you have.

You failed to even mention what P4 and what Asus G41 motherboard you have, so hard to even tell you, but I doubt it supports Pentium 4's.

m
l
May 2, 2012 5:23:47 PM

Thanks for your reply,

I really dont have knowledge about compatibility.

actually, i took my processor along with me and asked for a compatible motherboard. They showed me 3 boards and i selected this asus board as per my budget.

Now the Guy who gave me this board is not in that store and store keeper is not taking any responsibility of this.

Anyways, Which processor do you suggest me to buy without changing my present board (ASUS G41) so that i can run my PC without any trouble...
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2012 5:29:41 PM

You still haven't told me what board and what cpu your talking about, so I can't tell you if it's compatible or not.

That socket has been obsolete for years but if you can still find a E5200/5300/5400/5500 or E6600, that would be a good choice.
m
l
a c 168 V Motherboard
May 2, 2012 5:31:29 PM

geekapproved said:
Quote:

And you think he is lying to you??

Pentium 4 is not compatible with DDR3.

For about $130 (US) you can get a H61 mobo and a Pentium G620 and you can use the DDR3 that you have.

You failed to even mention what P4 and what Asus G41 motherboard you have, so hard to even tell you, but I doubt it supports Pentium 4's.

There are a couple of LGA775 motherboards with DDR3 that will support late Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors
m
l
May 2, 2012 5:31:35 PM

if it booted and worked correctly for a couple of days then it was obviously compatible.
m
l
May 2, 2012 7:28:39 PM

geekapproved said:
You still haven't told me what board and what cpu your talking about, so I can't tell you if it's compatible or not.

That socket has been obsolete for years but if you can still find a E5200/5300/5400/5500 or E6600, that would be a good choice.

Thanks again for your reply.

============
MOTHER BOARD:
============
Sry abt the MotherBoard I said it is ASUS,
It is actually ASROCK G41M - VS3. here is the link for the motherboard page
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=g41m-vs3

===========
PROCESSOR:
===========
The only letters i can read on the processor are: PENTIUM IV and 3.06 GHz. The rest of the letters are not readable. I purchased this in JULY 2004. Thats the only info i have regarding the processor.
The socket type is LGA 775

m
l
May 2, 2012 7:35:10 PM

osamabinrobot said:
if it booted and worked correctly for a couple of days then it was obviously compatible.

hello,

Then what do you think is the problem with my computer? I am using Windows xp. I have got xp licensed for 3 users. I installed the same xp with the same cd on two other systems and they are working absolutely fine.

I have updated my drivers also form ASROCK website, even then its happening. This is the first time i'm seeing a problem like this, all of us are really surprised with this issue....!!

Can you please advice....
m
l
May 2, 2012 7:40:23 PM

okay if you switched out the motherboard and ram only, that leaves the rest of the components that could be causing an issue. can you post the rest of your system components? also is it giving a blue screen when crashing or just powering off?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2012 7:54:43 PM

Pinhedd said:
There are a couple of LGA775 motherboards with DDR3 that will support late Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors

Most only support Pentium D, his on the other hand does support Pentium 4.

I think his old motherboard was fine, he just has some other component that's dying, which is precisely why he's having issues with it still after getting a new mobo and ram.

It could be the power supply failing.

Did you format the hd and re-install windows when you installed the new mobo?

m
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
May 2, 2012 9:45:16 PM

check your ram to see if it on the mb qual list on the web page you posted.not all ram will run in all mb. the other thing to check is the bios on your mb at the latest rev. there are a few bug fixes for your mb on your mb web page.
m
l
May 3, 2012 7:25:06 AM

osamabinrobot said:
okay if you switched out the motherboard and ram only, that leaves the rest of the components that could be causing an issue. can you post the rest of your system components? also is it giving a blue screen when crashing or just powering off?

I will give you the details of all the components very very soon, (within 6 to 7 hours)

Processor is the only component that is old.

Mother board, Ram, HDD, DVD drive, SMPS all are new ones.

When coming to the peripherals, Keyboard, Mouse and monitor(CRT) are old ones.

There is no BLUE SCREEN at all till now..

Thanks for your reply robo!!

m
l
May 3, 2012 7:28:46 AM

smorizio said:
check your ram to see if it on the mb qual list on the web page you posted.not all ram will run in all mb. the other thing to check is the bios on your mb at the latest rev. there are a few bug fixes for your mb on your mb web page.

surely, I will check for the compatibilty of ram and mb and then tell you soon.......

m
l
May 3, 2012 7:31:16 AM

I saw the Pentium 4 based computer but it using G41 motherboard and 2 GB DDR3 (I think) and it works without problem. It will be BIOS setting or virus (power supply will also making the problem)
m
l
May 3, 2012 11:09:48 AM

frenzyvanrafi said:
I saw the Pentium 4 based computer but it using G41 motherboard and 2 GB DDR3 (I think) and it works without problem. It will be BIOS setting or virus (power supply will also making the problem)

Power supply is not a problem because i have put an smps from a working cpu into this machine and tested it.

I will check the BIOS settings and get back to you....
m
l
May 3, 2012 6:32:17 PM

osamabinrobot said:

Processor: Pentium4 3.06 Ghz purchased in 2004 july, i cant read the number on the processor, its all faded out. LGA775 Socket type.

Motherboad: asrock g41m-vs3

RAM: 2GB DDR3 1333MHz, There are two serial numbers (A11053C 021100) (BP ML E186014). I have searched for this at many places but didnt get a match any where except for one website http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-TWIN2X20...
saying that this is a CORSAIR ram card.

HDD: Westren Digital, WD- 5000AAKX-001CA0, 500GB

DVD Drive: LG - gh22ns50

Monitor is CRT, keyboard and mouse are ps2.

m
l
May 3, 2012 6:41:18 PM

geekapproved said:
Most only support Pentium D, his on the other hand does support Pentium 4.

I think his old motherboard was fine, he just has some other component that's dying, which is precisely why he's having issues with it still after getting a new mobo and ram.

It could be the power supply failing.

Did you format the hd and re-install windows when you installed the new mobo?

all the components are new, hdd, ram, mb, smps. power supply seems to be stable. there is no distubance or abrupt shutting down of system in between. system is just continously restarting after displaying windows logo at start up. and this happends only after three to four days after i format my computer. if once this starts happening then its keeps on repeating.

I have just installed xp without installing any drivers or anything and left the computer as it is in a view that it might get effected with virus, even then after three to four days it is happening

I have formatted my hdd completely and installed xp many of times.
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:21:21 AM

Have you check the BIOS settings?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2012 12:57:03 PM

Folks, this is what happens when you try to use something that's 12yrs old with DDR3.

It's time to upgrade man.
m
l
May 5, 2012 5:40:10 AM

Yeap! Agreed,

But i'm just trying to make this machine work, can u help me in identifying this ram card

There is no company name on this thing, nor there is a manufacturers logo.

These are the only 3 places on the card where i have found some useful numbers

First 4 images of this blog..
http://microprocessorstechnologyimages.blogspot.in/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_BpYqyJ72zc/T6S8pBtPmqI/AAAAA...
this pic has a hologram . written on it "PRAGYA" & " Warrently void if seal boken"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u9k6DMQsFkE/T6S8pwEPKeI/AAAAA...
front side of the ram card. There are no numbers on this side.

There are no barcodes or any other info on the card,
can you pls look into it once....
m
l
May 5, 2012 9:30:39 AM

Sridhar Nag S said:
Yeap! Agreed,

But i'm just trying to make this machine work, can u help me in identifying this ram card

There is no company name on this thing, nor there is a manufacturers logo.

These are the only 3 places on the card where i have found some useful numbers

First 4 images of this blog..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_BpYqyJ72zc/T6S8pBtPmqI/AAAAA...
this pic has a hologram . written on it "PRAGYA" & " Warrently void if seal boken"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u9k6DMQsFkE/T6S8pwEPKeI/AAAAA...
front side of the ram card. There are no numbers on this side.

There are no barcodes or any other info on the card,
can you pls look into it once....

Is this the OEM specified RAM? Is your old mobo is OEM based or not?
m
l
May 5, 2012 3:14:05 PM

frenzyvanrafi said:
Is this the OEM specified RAM? Is your old mobo is OEM based or not?

The images i have given are the images of the new ram. If i can find out which company's RAM it is then it can be checked with the mother board compatibility. I cant say if this RAM is OEM specified or not(if you mean that RAM is specified in the compatibility list of motherboard) till i find out which Company's RAM it is.

My old MotherBoard is OEM based. My Desktop Computer itself is Compaq presario. I bought it in 2004 July.

Thanks for your reply.
m
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
May 5, 2012 8:18:34 PM

that lable and sticker is from people that buy ram at computer shows. the green sticker is the company squ tag for price.
i would see if a friend or local computer store has a 1066 or 1333 dimm on the qual list.
m
l
May 6, 2012 9:38:27 AM

smorizio said:
that lable and sticker is from people that buy ram at computer shows. the green sticker is the company squ tag for price.
i would see if a friend or local computer store has a 1066 or 1333 dimm on the qual list.

thanks dude....
m
l
May 10, 2012 5:41:36 PM

I've found the processor number, it is

INTEL PENTIUM 4 524 SL8ZZ.

can you people pls debug my pc problem.......
m
l
May 11, 2012 4:48:15 AM

Oh yea, can you post the proof video how Pentium 4 can't working on G41?
m
l
May 11, 2012 10:21:51 AM

haha, i'm right now in a dilemma of whether my configuration is compatible or not. Even i donno whether p4 will work on G41 or not.
If you know where the problem is with my system then pls do help me in understanding the problem, i want to get my PC up and running as soon as possible,

Configuration:
Processor: INTEL PENTIUM 4 524 SL8ZZ.

Ram: 2 GB DDR3, 1333Mhz, RAM card manufacturer is unknown. I've given photos of my RAM in this link.

Motherboard: asrock g41m-vs3
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=g41m-vs3

HDD: Westren Digital, WD- 5000AAKX-001CA0, 500GB

DVD Drive: LG - gh22ns50

thanks,
m
l
May 11, 2012 2:54:17 PM

Is your Pentium 4 has (G1) text? If not, maybe it not supported. I saw the CPU compatible list but I only saw the 524 (G1). Is your P4 non (G1)?
m
l
May 13, 2012 8:39:02 AM

I Thank you for your reply,

I didnt get you. I'm not technically sound. Can you please tell me what to do if i have to check if my P4 processor is having G1 text.

:) 
m
l
May 13, 2012 10:21:13 AM

Check to actual processor and see the the sPecs number below Pentium 4 text. If it no (G1) text, that mean it not supported
m
l
May 14, 2012 2:23:55 PM

INTEL '04
PENTIUM 4
524 SL8ZZ PHILIPPINES
3.06 GHZ / 1M / 533 / 04A

This is the whole text on my processor. So there is no G1 written anywhere. Will this mean that my P4 processor is not supported by my motherboard (ASROCK G41M VS3).

This is the link of my processor's specs link is as below - its the first image in this blog

I see the the text G1 in this link. Is this the G1 you asked me to check for?

if my present p4 processor is not supported and
- if i have to buy a new one which one should i buy so that it will be 100% compatible with my MB?
- How should i see look for a processor which runs well on my mb?
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:11:38 PM

frenzyvanrafi said:
Check to actual processor and see the the sPecs number below Pentium 4 text. If it no (G1) text, that mean it not supported

INTEL '04
PENTIUM 4
524 SL8ZZ PHILIPPINES

This is the whole text on my processor. So there is no G1 written anywhere. Will this mean that my P4 processor is not supported by my motherboard (ASROCK G41M VS3).

This is the link of my processor's specs link is as below - its the first image in this blog

- if i have to buy a new one which one should i buy so that it will be 100% compatible with my MB?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 5:44:31 PM

Try your HDD in another PC and see is it overheat ? Make HDD Scan to check bad sectors
After that check your system that having restarting problem is your processor heated more ?
Check your RAM in another PC to make sure it's not having problem [ incompatible ram also cause restarting problems ]

Is there any software that you installed then it starts to happening ?
m
l
May 15, 2012 5:56:07 PM

THE UNKNOWN said:
Try your HDD in another PC and see is it overheat ? Make HDD Scan to check bad sectors
After that check your system that having restarting problem is your processor heated more ?
Check your RAM in another PC to make sure it's not having problem [ incompatible ram also cause restarting problems ]

Is there any software that you installed then it starts to happening ?

I've checked my processor any my HDD in another computer. They are working fine. But i didnt check for heat.
I've checked my hdd for bad sectors also. Nothing was found.
I've not checked my Ram on another computer.

I've not installed any software other than windows xp. Not even drivers. As i said at my first msg system works fine for two days, then shows problems, after a week keeps on restarting.

Wt do u think i should do?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2012 6:14:08 PM

Install drivers first if not solved
[ Problem ] MOBO + [ HDD + RAM ] [ Another PC ] and see is it restarts ?
m
l
May 16, 2012 2:48:08 PM

Sridhar Nag S said:
INTEL '04
PENTIUM 4
524 SL8ZZ PHILIPPINES

If I check the spec number that's mean it's supported, is your processor frequently overheating? If overheating, replace the stock cooler to aftermarket cooler.
m
l
May 18, 2012 6:39:41 AM

hi,PAVAN HERE

I THINK YOU HAVE TO FORMAT YOUR SYSTEM WITH OTHER OS(WIN 7)

BUT YOU MUST HAVE ORIGINAL OR PIRATED DISC OF WIN 7 TO DO BOOT FORMAT

mine too pentium 4 ddr 1 intel 865g motherboard!!
m
l
May 30, 2012 4:45:10 AM

hi PAVAN

ur pc is p4 with ddr1, so its not a problem,

mine is p4 with ddr3, thats the problem here, and that too system is working fire for two days after that its not working. Thats the problem.
m
l
May 30, 2012 4:53:02 AM

frenzyvanrafi said:
If I check the spec number that's mean it's supported, is your processor frequently overheating? If overheating, replace the stock cooler to aftermarket cooler.

i have checked cpu temperature in the bios settings... it is stable around 62 - 65 degrees. Is this normal cpu temperature? I don't know if it is overheating or not.

As far as i know if it is overheating then it should shut down because of over heat right?

If my system is working fine for two days and then system is restarting continuously then what can be the problem?? Is it the other components of the system like HDD or RAM?

If RAM goes wrong then the system will not start at all right?
m
l
May 30, 2012 9:02:51 AM

hi sridhar nag,
after going through these threads, there is one thing I am sure of.ur cpu is ok. snapping the fan assembly on these 775 sockets is tough for the uninitiated.if the cpu temp u have mentioned is under > 75% cpu load , then it is fine. check the cpu temp through some 3rd party tools when it is at . 80% load. when remove and reinstall cpu normally u shoul remove the previous heatsink paste and apply e new one.even if one leg of the fan/haeat sink assembly is not snapped flushed through the motherboard hole u can have this intermittent restart problem.secondly test ur ram in other computer or vice versa for atleast four days.thoroughly clean ur memory slot and/or try different slot.
m
l
May 31, 2012 5:59:40 AM

vnayak15 said:
hi sridhar nag,
after going through these threads, there is one thing I am sure of.ur cpu is ok. snapping the fan assembly on these 775 sockets is tough for the uninitiated.if the cpu temp u have mentioned is under > 75% cpu load , then it is fine. check the cpu temp through some 3rd party tools when it is at . 80% load. when remove and reinstall cpu normally u shoul remove the previous heatsink paste and apply e new one.even if one leg of the fan/haeat sink assembly is not snapped flushed through the motherboard hole u can have this intermittent restart problem.secondly test ur ram in other computer or vice versa for atleast four days.thoroughly clean ur memory slot and/or try different slot.

thank you so much for your reply

i have put my ram card for test on another pc. As you said i will test it for four days.

i'm also testing this pc's hdd on another pc. i will do it for four days min.

I have a few more questions about cpu heat analysis you mentioned above. you said that if my cpu temperature is below 65 degress even if the load is greater than 75% then it is fine.

i didnt understand about this 80% load removing cpu and reinstalling the heat sink.. can you pls explain me about this as what exactly i have to do.
m
l
June 4, 2012 11:26:02 AM

Dear Sridhar Nag,
How did u remove the old cpu with fan assembly from ur old MB and installed them in ur new MB ? Regarding 80% load I mean the cpu performance should be atleast 80% i.e u should run suitable application or third party benchmark tools that can simulate the required cpu load. under this load u again need a third party tool like 'speed fan' wherein u can monitor the current cpu temperature. if u have read the cpu temp from bios , than parhaps the temperature is a bit on higher side because in bios there is almost 0 % cpu load. This can go much higher even upto 80-90 C when u run cpu intensive applications or multitask and thus can trigger a shutdown or restart symptom. Let us wait for ur feed back on testing ram and hard disk on other pc for 4 days. I have installed p4 cpus with same specs on g41 boards with no issues of compatability.If it runs ok even for one day then there shouldn't be any compatability issue. have faith.
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:45:20 AM

The problem was with the HDD. It is not able to hold data.

When i install windows xp, I said that PC was working fine for two days and then it was restarting. This means that HDD is holding data only for two days. Then after there is a loss of data on the HDD.

I have put this HDD as a secondary HDD and then ran Westren Digital Diagnosis. That test showed very clearly that HDD has Failed the test. I have been running with this problem from many months.

My P4 processor is compatible as per your link.

RAM i have tested for many days on another PC. Its good.

Basically, when system starts and we get display properly and if it works for two days, it means every thing is fine with CPU and MB.

It took me almost 6 months to find this problem. Even if i give my PC for repair at a Service Centre, they were reinstalling xp and saying that this thing is working fine,

Now my HDD is with WD, and most probably i might get a new HDD within a week.......

I think this will solve the problem..........

I will inform you again when i get a replacement. If there is still any problem i will inform you... Thanks for your help buddy...
m
l
!