When to insert new RAM

JohnD212

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I will be reinstalling Windows 7 this weekend and this time going from 32bit to 64bit. I figured while I'm doing it I would upgrade my 4gb of RAM to 8gb of RAM so I purchased two sticks of 4GB each that are compatible.

When is it best to install the RAM? Prior to reinstalling my new OS or should I just install it under the 32 bit OS I'm using now and then install the 64bit OS?

Simple question but wasn't sure if there was a best way to do this.

Thanks

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Doens't really matter that much, because RAM doesn't have drivers or too much OS configuration associated with it.

But the "by the book" route would be after shutting down with the install CD in the drive, and before the boot where you invoke the Win Setup.

If you're going to use the GUI setup method (running setup with Win7-32bit running) then just install the RAM before doing the install. 32bit will only recognize 3.25-3.75GB, but once the install is complete you'll have fixed that.

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Whenever you want. There is no best practice. Other than to remove power and use anti-statci protection when inserting RAM.

The OS won't care if it is before build, after build or during build. As long as the first line is followed.