Newbie building system

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I've wnated to build my own rig for over a decade, but most intensely the past year. A year ago, a friend recommended tom's hardware and I scoured forums and started to plan out building own computer, but instead triple-booted on imac. I ******* HATE MACS. All I've used is windows (decent) and linux (love) on the imac. I hate how locked down with software and hardware mac is. Can't f'ing stand it. I love ubuntu for a dozen reasons, but I really want to build my own rig.

here's list of parts on amazing wishlist.

1. Am I missing something absolutely crucial (like computer won't work with out it?)

2. I seems seriously stuck on this. I think my main obstacle is forking over (rather, actually having) the cash to buy the parts. My macs die (fortunately, because that's one thing that will ensure I leave the bloody apple cult.

http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/1Y6KPKOF5GU02/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go

jasonw223

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
You'll definitely want to add in a power supply to that computer... it will help you turn it on :)

Secondly, there are a few things that I'd change if I were you. I'd highly recommend going with a socket 1155 setup, like an i5 2500k or i7 2600k, a Z68 or P67 motherboard, and a dual channel DDR3 memory kit. It'll be quite a bit faster, run cooler, let you overclock more, and make you happier. Here's one popular benchmark if you want to compare those processors to your i7 950 pick:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Secondly, I'd really recommend swapping out that video card. Something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162062&Tpk=galaxy%20450
will give you drastically better performance. Those 9500GTs are a little bit older now, and don't have much oomph.

Thirdly, do it! You won't be sorry!

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
purpose of this build is
1. learn about building computer.
2. a LOT of file storage and access (20,000 photos or so)
3. tiny bit of gaming.

would NOT be playing most recent cutting edge graphics games.

So the 2TB hd and that ram is perfect

also the other main reasons is multiple monitors and just to build a computer because I love computers and have wanted to build one forever. What is the purpose? Mainly I like and love computers, thus I want to build one. What else kind of purpose would there be? What is the purpose of the build???????

I don't feel I need to have a purpose of the build. I have practically every file I have ever own digitalized on a computer (thousand and thousands). I put enormous time into computer work. I like code. I like computers. I have wanted to build one for over a decade. What is the purpose of this build??? More like what is the purpose of that idiotic question.

Okay just get 500W Antec ATX12v v2.3
MODEL EA-500D Green

So psyched!
only prob is will that work with Micro-Atx Mobo???
with what mobos is that compatible?

johntkucz

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
In addition to author and many other things, one of the things that I am is a computer scientist. That should be an explanation enough. And I don't like nor appreciate someone inquiring nor evaluating "the purpose" of this build. I store all my files on computer. I "LIVE" in a computer. Computer is my life, so in a sense building this rig would be like building my home. all memorabila, utility files, books, reading, communication is via computer really. it's preposterous I haven't build a computer before. but I prob want to focus more on english a bit, too.

gametstr

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Purpose as in we need to know if it is for Gaming / pure office work / multimedia design / Graphics / Rendering etc. And knowing what u want to do with and having a rough budget will help us suggest u with the most appropriate build for u. I still suggest u fill out that form I linked to before.

Good luck.