Integrated graphics

darkcleric3

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Okay so i just bought myself a nice new toshiba laptop with integrated graphics:

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit),3.25 hours of battery life
AMD Phenom II Quad Core Mobile Processor P940,500GB HDD (5400rpm),4GB DDR3 1066MHz memory
DVD-SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash drive
HD TruBrite LED Backlit display
No Bluetooth (No Antenna)
65W (19V 3.42A) Auto-sensing 100-240V / 50-60Hz input
Li-Ion (48Wh 6-Cell)|Up to 3.25 hours
3-USB (2.0) 1-eSATA/USB (2.0) combo port with Sleep and Charge
10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wi-Fi Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)
harman/kardon stereo speakers Headphone jack (stereo) Microphone input port with Sleep and Music Built-in microphone
Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel
256MB-1917MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Now what i'd like to know is if i upgrade the memory to 8gb, my video amount would stay at a maximum of 1917mb right? And im pretty sure id see a vast improvement seeing as id have more RAM. Just doing what i normally do im running about 2/3rds of what i have. It gives me about 2.5gb and takes 1.5gb for the video memory, give or take. So is it worth it to upgrade it to 8gb and if so has anyone done this and know if itll improve video alot? Especially in SC2, thanks all!

YEs, adding more RAM will help you to boost laptop's performance, but no matter how many the RAM itself won't help the video/graphic performance.
Integrated graphic is just for basic use, like watching video or playing a simple games, no more.
So, 4GB of RAM is enough for today's standard, and I think you won't need more than 512MB for shared graphic memory...

darkcleric3

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Thanks for the response and yeah i knew the extra ram would help the performance. But the pain is that it takes that certain amount and its shelled away, so i cant even use it as RAM because the video has it hostage. Know what i mean? But i got this because im on a budget and i dont do heavy gaming on laptops anymore, so to run SC2 at high id be happy with