How to choose the sound from motherboard HDMI?

rogerthatman

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hey there,
I'm trying to plug the motherboard (Gigabyte) to my receiver (Denon) through a HDMI cable.
The problem is that no matter how hard I try, and how much I play with the preferences, I fail to make a sound.
I installed the VIA HD Audio Deck driver from Gigabyte's webpage but it seems that I can't control the HDMI plugin.
Is this even possible? I also tried to plug with a Optic cable but still no luck.

When can I do? please help.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Right click on the speaker in the systray, select "playback devices". Find the HDMI listed, and set it as the default playback device. That should do the trick...

I know this isn't ideal, as sound will not come out of what you previously had it set as. I have not figured out how to get sound to come out of 2 sources (or more).

rogerthatman

Honorable
May 2, 2012
First off, I don't have in the "playback devices" an HDMI listed.
I have just two SPDIF Interface. one is named TX0 and the other is TX1.

The second thing is, I do have an HDMI connector in my receiver. It should work.

What now? :(

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
In "playback devices" right click on anything and make sure "show disabled devices" and "disconnected devices".
If that still doesn't show anything, then I suspect the drivers aren't installed (or installed properly).

EDIT: One of those SPDIF's should be your optical port... just as an alternative means of testing...

rogerthatman

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I'm aware of that - I know perfectly what SPDIF means, but that's not what I was looking for. I'm not interested in connecting the PC to my receiver through an optical port, but a HDMI cable.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hey, I'm only trying to help. I mentioned the SPDIF portion because you said you were unable to get that to work either. Therefore if you were unable to "find" the HDMI under the playback devices with my last instructions, then you could possibly try the optical side as a troubleshooting step.