Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New processor for a dell optiplex GX280

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2011 1:49:37 AM

Hello, I have a Dell optiplex GX280 large version. and i have 1GB of ram. I was looking for a video card and i stumbled upon an ATI Saphhire Radeon HD 5570. It looked to good to be true. I was wondering if it could work, i know it will fit though. Do i need more RAM to support it? BTW i forgot to mention i have a 3.20ghz processor. Do i need an upgarde on that too?

More about : processor dell optiplex gx280

a c 147 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 2:21:24 AM

if you're using win xp then 1GB of RAM is still fine. if you're using vista or seven you're going to need at least 2GB of RAM. but i think it is better to have 2GB of RAM if you have gaming in mind even with win xp. if you want to take full advantage of 5570 you're going to need better cpu than your current one but i think it is hard to upgrade considering how old your platform are.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 2:24:31 AM

Looks like it will work fine. I am guessing you are running xp I would have atleast a total of 4 gig or memory.
Score
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 2:34:49 AM

christop said:
Looks like it will work fine. I am guessing you are running xp I would have atleast a total of 4 gig or memory.

that would be fine as well assuming he was using win xp 64 bit.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 2:37:41 AM

my 280 slim desktop only had a 250watt psu
which is equal to about 300-350 aftermarket psu

careful you have a strong enough power supply plus if you need any power connectors
not sure if 5570 needs external power or not
Score
a c 147 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 2:43:47 AM

king smp said:

not sure if 5570 needs external power or not

the card doesn't have it. only 5700, 5800 and 5900 series need external power connector.
Score
March 18, 2011 12:33:18 AM

renz496 said:
if you're using win xp then 1GB of RAM is still fine. if you're using vista or seven you're going to need at least 2GB of RAM. but i think it is better to have 2GB of RAM if you have gaming in mind even with win xp. if you want to take full advantage of 5570 you're going to need better cpu than your current one but i think it is hard to upgrade considering how old your platform are.

Thanks, do you have any suggestions because all i have is pentium 4. Would a Intel Xeon work? If not please give me some suggestions. ALSO all im gonna do is play Minecraft, which isnt some sort of top notch game.
Score

Best solution

a c 147 U Graphics card
March 18, 2011 6:45:09 AM

normally xeon processor used in server based motherboard. even they are pin compatible with your motherboard it does't mean it will work. that's why some board need BIOS update if they want to use newer processor. in case of xeon it might not work with consumer base motherboard.

i think it is better to leave your PC as it be if you don't really play other games. instead of upgrading it is better to save your money and build completely new rig with much more recent hardware. sometimes upgrading an old pc can be costly but the performance increase are not really worth it.
March 25, 2011 12:25:29 AM

renz496 said:
normally xeon processor used in server based motherboard. even they are pin compatible with your motherboard it does't mean it will work. that's why some board need BIOS update if they want to use newer processor. in case of xeon it might not work with consumer base motherboard.

i think it is better to leave your PC as it be if you don't really play other games. instead of upgrading it is better to save your money and build completely new rig with much more recent hardware. sometimes upgrading an old pc can be costly but the performance increase are not really worth it.

Thanks for the advice. But if i do plan on getting a more recent Desktop. I dont like laptops. What type would be not to costly and can still play games. (Sorry for asking so much questions, but i think you know what your talking about.)
Score
a c 147 U Graphics card
March 25, 2011 2:57:04 PM

LocoMonoco said:
Thanks for the advice. But if i do plan on getting a more recent Desktop. I dont like laptops. What type would be not to costly and can still play games. (Sorry for asking so much questions, but i think you know what your talking about.)

no worry mate :)  . that's why people asking for help in forum. for the new build it depends alot on how much you want to spend on it.
Score
March 25, 2011 9:02:37 PM

renz496 said:
no worry mate :)  . that's why people asking for help in forum. for the new build it depends alot on how much you want to spend on it.

Ok, well i was thinking $450 USD or less.
Score
April 6, 2011 3:17:59 AM

Thanks for the help. I got an Nvidia Geforce 430GT for now. :sol: 
Score
April 17, 2011 5:20:15 PM

Best answer selected by LocoMonoco.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 7:45:28 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!