Need advice and feedback on new gaming system

StinkFoot

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: hopefully next week
Budget Range: ~$1000 flexible
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, HD movies, Photoshop
Parts Not Required: Case, Screen, Keyboard and Mouse
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no need for the interwebz stores. I just need suggestions and feedback for actual parts.
Overclocking: Yes Please! :)
SLI or Crossfire: Not right now, maybe in the future.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I've been reading these forums for a while now and I think I know pretty much what I want.
I just need your feedback and some help deciding a few things

So here's what I'm planning so far:
CPU: Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz, s1155, 6MB, GPU Core
MotherBoard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3 - ATX OR MSI P67A-GD65 Intel Motherboard. Opinions Please?
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL9 - F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6950 2GB DDR5
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 2TB - 32MB - S-ATA -Spinpoint F4EG
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
PSU: seasonic SS-750AT 750W Active PFC Single Rail

So how's my list so far?
As you can see I'm undecided between 2 motherboards, almost the same price
Is the CPU Cooler and PSU good enough for a decent CPU OC?
I was also thinking about buying a SSD but it's quite pricey, is 60 - 80 GB SSD enough for Win 7 and a couple of programs \ games or should i wait for a price drop?

Thanks In Advance :D

Good build. I would go with the ASRock before the MSI board (actually would go with ASUS, but between those two the ASRock gets the nod). The Hyper 212+ is a great cooler that will allow you get get a nice overclock on that 2500k. Skip the SSD for now unless you really want a fast boot drive. While they are nice and all, they don't do anything for you while gaming or watching movies. You MIGHT see a difference while working in Photoshop, but most likely not. Enjoy that build!

StinkFoot

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Thanks for the input sadams04
Is ASUS P8P67-B3 P67 motherboard any better? It's the same price as other two.
ASUS P8P67 PRO-B3 is a bit more expansive but I have absolutely no idea what's the difference between any of those motherboards.

^+1. The ASRock Extreme4 is a great board, is cheaper than most others given what it offers, and is well built. It's also been shown to be a better OCer in tests (including Tom's own board review).
I was planning on purchasing the Extreme4 for my P67 build, but I happened to get the Gigabyte board for less than the Extreme4 on a forum.

The 6950 is definitely the best card (in the price range) for 1080p gaming. Hands down. I love mine because A) it has native 3 monitor support and B) it unlocked to a 6970 very easily (need a reference model). I switched from Nvidia cards, and have been very pleased since then.

I love the CM Hyper 212+. It astounds me how well that thing works when it's easily half the price of most comparable coolers. I actually have mine upside-down (oops) in my Raven (which, in theory, really messes up the airflow), but it's just as cool as if it's right-side up.

If you really want to nab an SSD, I would say go for an older generation (preferable an older gen 2 (OCZ Vertex 2/Agility 2, etc)). My WD SiliconEdge Blue is either an old gen 1 or early gen 2 (not sure), but I still boot in 30 seconds. The price isn't going to drop significantly on the newer models, but really anything with over 200MB/s will show a difference.
FYI, on my 64GB SSD I have W7 Pro x64, Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2010, and a few other miscellaneous files (drivers, settings, stray files) and have about a third of my space left.