Try 2 Replacing Gericom laptop hard drive?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2005 4:24:37 PM

I believe that my Gericom laptop, is a re-badged Iwill N755IN.
Though it's still under warranty Gericom have failed to comply with
their own RMA procedure and I've wasted a lot of time and energy
jumping through their hoops to nowhere.

Since I'm now intending to replace the hard myself, I hope to maximize
the HD capacity. These are 2 drives I've seen advertised:

Fujitsu MHV2100AH
2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA100 (Replacement for MHT series)

Seagate Momentus ST9100823A
2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA 100

Please can anyone tell me if either of these drives are suitable?
I'd also appreciate any advice offered on the dismantling/reassembly
procedure involved.
TIA
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2005 8:58:25 PM

Fujitsu MHV2100AH
> 2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA100 (Replacement for MHT series)
>
> Seagate Momentus ST9100823A
> 2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA 100

I have the Fujitsu and it is very silent but a tad to hot. The momentus gets
real hot and some said it would had have often failure. It is also more
louder.
What me strikes is that the Fujitsu has a high tone all the time. So if I
were you, I would -of course- stay with a Hitachi/IBM.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2005 8:58:26 PM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 16:58:25 +0200, "Krisztina Susza"
<krisztina.sz@gmx.net> wrote:

>Fujitsu MHV2100AH
>> 2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA100 (Replacement for MHT series)
>>
>> Seagate Momentus ST9100823A
>> 2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA 100
>

>I have the Fujitsu and it is very silent but a tad to hot. The momentus gets
>real hot and some said it would had have often failure. It is also more
>louder.
>What me strikes is that the Fujitsu has a high tone all the time. So if I
>were you, I would -of course- stay with a Hitachi/IBM.

Thanks very much for the advice. I've just opened the laptop up for
the first time. The existing drive is a 60GB Toshiba MK6021GAS.

I read earlier that someone had to get a modified BIOS to allow for
drive specific S.M.A.R.T. configuration when they changed drive
brands.
Although the BAD disk error I got from my AMI BIOS showed no drive
brand specific information, maybe I should go for another Toshiba just
in case.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2005 9:53:25 AM

<krisztina.sz@gmx.net> wrote:

>Fujitsu MHV2100AH
>> 2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA100 (Replacement for MHT series)
>>
>> Seagate Momentus ST9100823A
>> 2.5" 100GB, 5400RPM, 8MB Cache, ATA 100
>

>I have the Fujitsu and it is very silent but a tad to hot. The momentus gets
>real hot and some said it would had have often failure. It is also more
>louder.
>What me strikes is that the Fujitsu has a high tone all the time. So if I
>were you, I would -of course- stay with a Hitachi/IBM.

I eventually followed your advice and went for a Hitachi Travelstar
7K60.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2005 4:47:39 PM

| I eventually followed your advice and went for a Hitachi
Travelstar
| 7K60.
|
| --
| Regards,
| Mike Halmarack

Really good decision, but are they already selling these HDDs? I
thought they were only talking about it to come in a few months. I
think I will swap my one out as well..
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2005 6:39:33 PM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 12:47:39 +0200, "Krisztina Susza"
<krisztina.sz@gmx.net> wrote:

>| I eventually followed your advice and went for a Hitachi
>Travelstar
>| 7K60.
>|
>| --
>| Regards,
>| Mike Halmarack
>

>Really good decision, but are they already selling these HDDs? I
>thought they were only talking about it to come in a few months. I
>think I will swap my one out as well..

I thinks this one has been available for a while. It's only 60GB like
my original drive but it runs at 7200rpm, which seems to be quite
unusual for a laptop drive. I believe there is a higher capacity
version coming out but I decided that any extra capacity I needed
could be gained by increasing the size of my external drives.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.