Looking for advice on a new motherboard please

whiskeydiet

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Hi. I just found out after trying everything that my motherboard is shot. Here's my situation: I have a p6210y computer, which can be seen here. (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01859864&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4006020)

I have upgraded the power supply and video card so that this is my current set up.

Motherboard (broken) M2N78-LA Violet. Processor Socket is AM2+, pci-ex16 for my vid card, and 4 ddr2 ram slots

Processor - AMD Athlon 2 620 quad core. AM3 Socket, 4000 mhz HT3

Has 4x2gb ddr2 ram

HD4670 Video Card pci-e

SATA 640gb Hard Drive

Antec 620w power supply.

So basically i need to find a motherboard that will let me use all these things listed, except i know the ram will probably have to be ddr3 with a new mobo which is ok. Ideally i would like to keep the same case as well so finding a motherboard that is the same size as my current would be the best situation. I am looking for any advice here as i know a bit about this but not as much as people here. Trying to find one that will take my cpu, ps, hd, and video card is a little challenging for me. I also can't figure out why certain motherboards are so much more expensive than others.

The only stressful thing my computer does is some low-medium graphics gaming (such as starcraft 2) if that matters.

I would be very appreciative of any tips or advice on this. Thank you!

edit: i found out the mobo is 9.6 in x 9.6 in.

whiskeydiet

Honorable
May 2, 2012
thanks - i am still confused about which to pick... I see some for $45 and some for $129 and just can't figure out the difference.. Is it RAM speed? They all seem to be AM3 and 240 pin. Maybe max amount of RAM? That is the hardest thing for me to figure. I know the 129 must be a lot better than the 45 dollar one, but i just can't seem to see the benefit.

It pretty much is as simple as that. It is possible that early boards of that socket *might* not support a later CPU of that socket, but there are always BIOS updates to keep compatibility.

whiskeydiet

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I should probably say that my next upgrade farther in the future would be to get a newer processor. So i suppose since i am buying a new mobo i'd like it to have the capability to handle a better processor than i am currently using as well. Would that be just getting an AM3 and maybe having to update the bios later like Itzdanielp said? THanks again for all your responses. They have been very helpful

AM2+ will work in AM3, AM3 will work in AM3+, but unfortunately the reverse is not true... AM3+ will not work in AM3.

So... if you are looking to upgrade (I'm assuming along the AMD path) in the future, I am assuming you would go for a bulldozer (or newer) which is AM3+

Which unfortunately means there is no easy upgrade path. You get a board that supports your current CPU, then upgrade both later. Or you upgrade both now.

The other option you have is an AM3 board, which will support your old chip, and a Phenom II chip in the future, but those are starting to get phased out a bit.

whiskeydiet

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I guess i will just go with a cheaper board that will make my current set up work, and then worry about upgrading later. I could be a while before i do any more upgrades anyways. Thanks!

whiskeydiet

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Thanks for all the help. my mother board and ram is on its way. Now if only i didn't have to rebuy windows 7 i'd be pretty happy... I feel like it is so dumb that you lose it if you switch motherboards. Especially when they put a crappy motherboard in the computer they sold me. Oh well i guess.. Either way, thanks everyone who helped.