Sign in with
Your question

Win7 on Raid (Asus x79 Sabertooth)

Last response: in Motherboards
May 2, 2012 8:58:45 PM

So, I'm a bit confused.
I've got an Asus x79 Sabertooth Mobo with 3x 7200rpm samsung drives in a Raid 5 configuration. In order to install Win7x64 on them I had to create a raid driver disk on a usb drive and load it during the installation.

Now, when I remove the windows disk from the drive and try to boot it says no bootable drives found.

However, if I insert the W7 install disk and the usb drive with the raid drivers it boots fine. My assumption is that the W7 disk is loading the raid drivers off the usb floppy and then booting to the raid. Is that right? If so, how do I make this more natural?
May 3, 2012 12:38:39 AM

I'm new to this but it seems like a chicken/egg scenario to me and I'm not sure how it should be handled. The BIOS is set to SATA RAID mode - which is where the RAID is configured. In order for Windows to recognize the raid it apparently has to have access to the raid driver ... however Windows 7 is installed on the raid. So ... not sure how to solve the problem.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 5:04:48 AM

I ran into something very similar a couple of times. If the RAID drive is not partitioned before you install windows, Windows cannot install to it until you have setup the partition and then rebooted the system. You still have to install the RAID drivers before windows can be installed after the reboot but you should be able to install windows.
m
l
!