Urgent :nid suggestion new pc or upgrade?

Minatolight

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
Hello,6 yrs old.. n i was thinking maybe i shall upgrade it or buy a new PC? my current con fig is:

p4 2.66 Ghz
512 DDR ram
DVD CD writer
CRT Sam sung sync Monitor 15'
ATI RA DEON EXPRESS 200 series

if it was to buy a new PC or upgrade i cant spend more than Rs20000 = 450$. So far my PC is stable n no prob has occurred..

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Buy new. Any upgrade will cost a lot and not do much. You can get a computer for 450 dollars now that will be much better. Check out HP's website.

You're going to get lots of suggestions to build you're own but I think at the price you are talking OEM is the way to go. It's hard to build a PC for that price if you include windows. You'll also get a warranty and some support. HP does a quad athlon 640 for 429 dollars. I don't know what's available in your country but there must be some equivalent.

Minatolight

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
yes i get u'r point bt i'm ok with spendin 450$ only in cpu.. coz my moniter n speakers n other stuffs r pretty intact.. the real prob is that i hav ddr ram n ddr ram r not available dese days.. they also costs a lot more.. so is buying a new ddr 1 Gb bettr for carryin the pc for another 1 or 1 n a half yr or buying a new right away is betatr?? plz suggest

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Upgrading a machine that is that old is not really worth it (you would basically need to do an entire overhaul). Building new you will at least want a budget of $500 US dollars. What will the primary uses of the machine be? If it is only used for web browsing and very basic tasks than the $450 budget would be ok.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
For gaming it's going to depend on your video card, a lot. If that's the purpose you should consider building it yourself (you'd need to upgrade an OEM machine with a new gpu and psu as soon as you got it). In the States 780 is enough money to build a pretty decent game machine: an i3 or Phenom II, 4 gigs ram, and a gtx 460 or 6850. You might want to budget to upgrade the monitor too, which will make things tight but would still be doable. I'm not sure what resources you have where you live for making purchases.

Do you have any geek buddies who have built a system before who can help you?