Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Graphics Card for my current specs dg31pr, dual-core e6300 2.8ghz

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2011 9:02:48 AM

I got an Intel DG31PR motherboard, Intel Dual Core E6300 2.8 GHz processor, 2 GB Kingston DDR 2 RAM 800 MHz, and an LG 17" CRT monitor. I'm planning to get a graphics card and a new power supply to play all kinds of games, including the more demanding ones like Crysis etc, at a decent resolution and decent frame rates without lagging or bottlenecking.

What should I go for ?

Also, anywhere I can see the comparison between games played at different resolutions, and games using DirectX 9 vs DirectX 10 vs DirectX 11 ?

Lastly, would increasing my RAM help get better performance, while keeping the same motherboard and processor ?

Cheers ! :D 
a c 191 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 2:10:17 PM

Please define "decent resolution." I will assume 1920x1080p, which also assumes a monitor upgrade, because a 17" CRT is probably no higher than 1280x1024.
If you'll be keeping that monitor, and you just want to play full screen on it at maximum resolution, a HD5670 would probably suffice, and not require a PSU upgrade.
If you're going to play at 1920x1080 though, consider your budget and how much you might be willing to lower settings. On a tight budget, and not requiring everything to be maxed, a HD5770 may suffice. A 1GB GTX460 or HD6850 would be a step up from that. A GTX560 or HD6950 would be still higher.
Score
March 11, 2011 5:43:24 PM

Onus said:
Please define "decent resolution." I will assume 1920x1080p, which also assumes a monitor upgrade, because a 17" CRT is probably no higher than 1280x1024.
If you'll be keeping that monitor, and you just want to play full screen on it at maximum resolution, a HD5670 would probably suffice, and not require a PSU upgrade.
If you're going to play at 1920x1080 though, consider your budget and how much you might be willing to lower settings. On a tight budget, and not requiring everything to be maxed, a HD5770 may suffice. A 1GB GTX460 or HD6850 would be a step up from that. A GTX560 or HD6950 would be still higher.

By "decent resolution", I meant a resolution at which games are playable and look fairly good - they don't have to look extraordinary, and they certainly shouldn't look poor in terms of visuals. Somewhere in between. I know it sounds vague but I hope its somewhat easier to understand.

Yep my monitor supports 1280 x 1024 @ 66 Hz Max. What that translates to in terms of options when buying a graphics card without changing any other hardware, I don't know, hence I need help :p 

To put it simply, I don't think I can upgrade my processor, motherboard or monitor anytime soon. But I wanted to know what graphics card I could get that would give me the best performance with my current system. I probably would be able to upgrade my RAM and Power Supply (which is a shoddy 250W cheap solution) soon though.

As I understand, getting the best graphics card that is available would be no good because my CPU would be bottlenecking the performance. This is why I need help in finding what graphics card I can get without bottlenecking performance.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 171 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 8:16:03 PM

like said above, a 5670 is the maximum you would want to use with your current power supply. You could get up to a 5770 without the cpu bottlenecking performance too much. if your not going to upgrade your monitor, a 5770 will be all you need to max out every game. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... this psu is a good deal at the moment and will handle a 5770 or even a 6850/6870. dont buy a cheap generic brand psu, you will regret it as many others have. Just because a psu says 450w on it doesnt mean it can produce that power continuously or on the 12v rails where its needed most, most cheaper psu makers overrate their psu's.
a c 214 U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 8:29:30 PM

Upgrade your monitor so that your CPU isn't doing all the work.Usually at lower resoultions it releys on your CPU more than GPU.And i think a 5770 is faster than your CPU.

Before we can start giving you estimates for cards to get we need to know your budget...Also you have to make sure that both the new GPU and PSU will fit inside your case.
Score
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2011 9:53:34 AM

i vote for the HD5670. or if you want to blow away a little more money then get the 5770 but you would be CPU bottlenecked in some situations
Score
March 12, 2011 3:24:38 PM

^ +1 true!
Score
April 1, 2011 8:40:27 AM

Hey guys ! Really appreciate all the help. Sorry I was away for a while. But I'm back !

So it seems the 5670 is the popular choice here .... I had a feeling it was quite a decent card.

Initially I didn't want to mention the budget because I wanted to see what sort of cards we would talk about regardless of cost limitations and with the focus primarily on my current hardware configuration. And since we seem to agree on the 5670 or even the 5770, let me introduce the budget factor.

I think I can spend about US $120.00 on a graphics card AND a power supply, together.

So please feel free to give me some suggestions as to what sort of a package I would be able to purchase.

I was searching the market in my own city and I found out that the lowest price on a power supply is around US $40.00 which means I have around US $80.00 to spend on a graphics card and that means, with the products and prices in my own city, that I can get a

= GT 430 - http://inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gf400/gt_430.ht...
= GT 240 - http://www.inno3d.com/products/graphic_card/gtx200/gt24...
= HD 5570 - http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID...
= HD 5550 - http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID...
= HD 4670 - http://xfxforce.com/en-us/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID...

After doing some research on the 4670 vs the 5570 I found that the 4670 was the better card. Correct me if I'm wrong though ! ... I will be doing some research on how it stacks up against the above mentioned Nvidia cards.

Now, this is only a reflection of what I have available in my city. If I do a bit more scouting I might be able to find some more products which I'll let you guys know once I find any.

But I don't want my city to be a limiting factor. If I can get a better package in this US $120.00 range abroad, then maybe I could get somebody to buy it from abroad and bring it to me.

I did want to bring to your attention what I have available in my city so that you could compare with the products abroad and suggest appropriately.

Lastly, I also found out that an HD 4830 was a pretty neat card. Better than the 4670. I haven't found it in my city yet.

But basically, where I need help now is whether I can get a better package in US $120.00 from abroad or whether I'm better off buying something from my city.
Score
January 27, 2012 6:38:31 AM

Best answer selected by tytee.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 27, 2012 9:51:47 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!