IBM 560Z USB

People,
Hoping someone can help.
IBM 560Z has a USB port, but I can't make it work.
Win 98 SE, latest available BIOS v29.
Tried every driver from the internet than I can find, no joy.
Start up with USB pen drive inserted, it stops at the Win98 logo
screen
Plug in the pen after startup, the hourglass shows - it doesn't
freeze, because the cursor moves, but it does nothing else. Removing
the pen provokes a BSOD.
Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.
I've seen comments that the 560Z doesn't support USB, but why then
does it have the port?
Thanks for any advice,
DAH
3 answers Last reply
More about 560z

    "DAH" <dont@email.me> wrote in message
    > People,
    > Hoping someone can help.
    > IBM 560Z has a USB port, but I can't make it work.
    > Win 98 SE, latest available BIOS v29.

    My experience with a 560X running WIN98SE is that you must have a driver
    from the manufacturer of the USB pen drive for that particular pen drive.
    Some pen drives no longer include a CD with driver for running under win98.
    If you do have a driver, you need to first check that there are no problems
    identified in control panel/system/device manager. Try reinstalling the
    driver that came with your pen drive. If none of that works, then find a
    friend with a USB port and see if your pen drive works on that PC. If that
    works, then find a friend with a working pen drive (along with driver
    preferable working under WIN98se) and see if you can get that to work on
    your PC. These steps will help you identify if the problem is with the pen
    drive, the driver, or your USB port.

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 07:58:52 -0700, "Ian S" <iws51remove@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >My experience with a 560X running WIN98SE is that you must have a driver
    >from the manufacturer of the USB pen drive for that particular pen drive.
    >Some pen drives no longer include a CD with driver for running under win98.
    >If you do have a driver, you need to first check that there are no problems
    >identified in control panel/system/device manager. Try reinstalling the
    >driver that came with your pen drive. If none of that works, then find a
    >friend with a USB port and see if your pen drive works on that PC. If that
    >works, then find a friend with a working pen drive (along with driver
    >preferable working under WIN98se) and see if you can get that to work on
    >your PC. These steps will help you identify if the problem is with the pen
    >drive, the driver, or your USB port.

    Thanks, Ian. I know the pen drive is fine - it works on my 2 home &
    work PCs. All, thought, are XP Pro. The home PCs have both USB1 & 2 -
    both read & write the pen drive ok. The older PC throws up the
    standard "could work faster" dialog.

    I got the W98 drivers from the Crucial website - the pen is a Crucial
    Gizmo. But no luck.

    So it must be the laptop port or the OS. I have also tried a Mitsumi
    USB floppy. It works fine on my PC. On the laptop W98 recognised it as
    a Mitsumi floppy even before I tried to install drivers, which
    suggests that the laptop hardware is working. I found some drivers on
    the Mitsumi website for W98, and when I pointed the control panel
    "update driver" dialog at the folder it recognised and installed them.
    I now have A: and D: floppies, but the laptop doesn't display the
    diskette contents - it offers to format the diskette and then sits and
    whirs, doing apparently nothing.

    Still, bit by bit I'm crawling along... but not holding my breath.
    Thanks again for your advice - much appreciated.
    DAH.

    > Thanks, Ian. I know the pen drive is fine - it works on my 2 home &
    > work PCs. All, thought, are XP Pro. The home PCs have both USB1 & 2 -
    > both read & write the pen drive ok. The older PC throws up the
    > standard "could work faster" dialog.

    I guess the last thing to try would be a friend's pen drive with driver that
    is known to work under win98se. I have three different pen drives from
    different mfg. and all came with drivers and all work on my 560x running
    win98se.

USB IBM Laptops