Rainbow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

Saw this rainbow on the way home from work this in Valencia, California
evening. It was really vivid. You can even see the secondary rainbow:
http://gbe.dynip.com/misc/Q0017332A.JPG

--
Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

Very nice.

Gary Edstrom wrote:
> Saw this rainbow on the way home from work this in Valencia, California
> evening. It was really vivid. You can even see the secondary rainbow:
> http://gbe.dynip.com/misc/Q0017332A.JPG

Why is the sky usually lighter unde the rainbow?

Gordon

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

Note: Courtesy copy of this followup sent to author via email.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:59:53 +0000, Gordon MacPherson
<gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>Gary Edstrom wrote:
>> Saw this rainbow on the way home from work this in Valencia, California
>> evening. It was really vivid. You can even see the secondary rainbow:
>> http://gbe.dynip.com/misc/Q0017332A.JPG
>>
>Why is the sky usually lighter unde the rainbow?
>
>Gordon

It has to do with the physics of how rainbows are created and the
refraction of the light. The inside will always be lighter than the
outside. You would need to search the web for an exact technical
explanation of why. Likewise, there is ALWAYS a secondary rainbow, but
it is often too faint to be seen. There are even tertiary and higher
order rainbows, but each one gets fainter and fainter, so they are never
seen.

Gary

--
Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
You may be a redneck if your gun safe is bigger than your
'fridge.
The above tagline is number 535 in a series of 547. Collect them all!

Paul

Splendid

<http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/our-garden/more/2004-02-02-rainbow&PG=1&PIC=2>

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atmos/ligsky.html#c1

Gordon MacPherson wrote:

> Why is the sky usually lighter unde the rainbow?

"42" :)

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,alt.photography (More info?)

In article <d0hfj5$93p$1@news.ox.ac.uk>,
Gordon MacPherson <gordon.macpherson@path.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> Gary Edstrom wrote:
> > Saw this rainbow on the way home from work this in Valencia, California
> > evening. It was really vivid. You can even see the secondary rainbow:
> > http://gbe.dynip.com/misc/Q0017332A.JPG
> >

> Why is the sky usually lighter unde the rainbow?

Rainbows occur when sunlight and rain are both available the sky and
rain around the rainbow is always sunlit - you won't see the rainbow
otherwise. As the rainbow reflects some light (and so the sky appears
darker) but below the rainbow nothing is reflected making that part of
the sky brighter.