2.3 Tb on credit card

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2005 9:45:47 AM

I remember reading an article in 1999 about Prof Ted Williams (who
helped invent the Magnetic Resonance Body Scanner) He secured funding
to develop a credit card sized storage unit capable of storing 2,300
Gigabytes which would only cost £35 to make. It was to have been a
joint venture between Keele University and a venture capital company.

I hoped at the time that it would not go the way of so many other
British inventions i.e. ignored at home and snapped up abroad. Alas it
seems either to have fizzled out,ignored or bought up by parties to
whom this would be a threat so that it can be suppressed. Imagine no
more upgrades to your hard drive, your entire video and music
collection on one card etc. You could switch on and start using your
computer almost immediately.

I thought I had imagined it all and then found this link

http://lists.extropy.org/exi-lists/extropians.3Q99/4776...

Anyone know what happened?

Regards

More about : credit card

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2005 1:31:03 PM

"zacnici" <Zacnici@flashmail.com> wrote:
>http://lists.extropy.org/exi-lists/extropians.3Q99/4776...

Well, if nothing happened in the last 6 years, it probably fizzled out
due to technical problems (or the cost of the unobtanium that the
substrate is made of) OSLT.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2005 10:48:25 PM

On 21 May 2005 05:45:47 -0700, "zacnici" <Zacnici@flashmail.com> wrote:

>I remember reading an article in 1999 about Prof Ted Williams (who
>helped invent the Magnetic Resonance Body Scanner) He secured funding
>to develop a credit card sized storage unit capable of storing 2,300
>Gigabytes which would only cost £35 to make. It was to have been a
>joint venture between Keele University and a venture capital company.
>
>I hoped at the time that it would not go the way of so many other
>British inventions i.e. ignored at home and snapped up abroad. Alas it
>seems either to have fizzled out,ignored or bought up by parties to
>whom this would be a threat so that it can be suppressed. Imagine no
>more upgrades to your hard drive, your entire video and music
>collection on one card etc. You could switch on and start using your
>computer almost immediately.
>
>I thought I had imagined it all and then found this link
>
>http://lists.extropy.org/exi-lists/extropians.3Q99/4776...
>
>Anyone know what happened?
>
>Regards

Apparently this is still under development. Googling on "Cavendish
Management Resources" got me to cmrworld.com, and clicking their Special
Inventions link brought me to this:

http://www.cmrworld.com/inventions.asp
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 12:03:46 AM

Christopher P. Winter <chrisw20@chrisw20.best.vwh.net> wrote:
> http://www.cmrworld.com/inventions.asp

Slightly more informational than the previous link, but the "8x
compression" looks a bit hokey to me, and the "increase your processor
speed with this compression" sounds like snake-oil. Sure, maybe it's
really efficient when storing/transmitting 'words' of 9, 5, 7, and 4
bits, with only a single high bit per word, but those are fairly
rare...

This "3-dimensional magneto-optical" sytem sounds interesting, but one
is left wondering why it's not made any progress in the last 6 years,
other than another layer of hype being added ("With violet lasers, our
theoretical {areal,volumetric} density increases again!").
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2005 11:26:36 PM

> Slightly more informational than the previous link, but the "8x
> compression" looks a bit hokey to me, and the "increase your processor
> speed with this compression" sounds like snake-oil. Sure, maybe it's
> really efficient when storing/transmitting 'words' of 9, 5, 7, and 4
> bits, with only a single high bit per word, but those are fairly
> rare...

I agree, that 8x compression looks a bit hokey to me, too. Can anyone
explain it clearer?

> This "3-dimensional magneto-optical" sytem sounds interesting, but one
> is left wondering why it's not made any progress in the last 6 years,
> other than another layer of hype being added ("With violet lasers, our
> theoretical {areal,volumetric} density increases again!").

I'm sure we'll get it one day, just not now...

Duncan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2005 9:52:34 PM

The hard drive manufacturers bought up the patent and are keeping it off the
market. :}

!