Z77 Mobo operating at PCI-E 2.0

Stickem

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on purchasing my processor and mobo. I was considering a 3570k but I am concerned with the heat issues because I do plan on overclocking. With that said, I am going to purchase a 2500k with a Z77 chipset mobo & a GTX 680. With this combination, I understand that I will not be taking any small advantage that PCI-E 3.0 would provide if I were to purchase Ivy Bridge over Sandy. Ok, so I will be operating at PCI-E 2.0 speeds. All of the new Z77 mobos show that if I operate at PCI-E 2.0 versus the 3.0 that the boards supports, then my PCI Express 2.0 x16 will operate at x4. This is the mother board I am currently looking at purchasing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295

Notice the bandwidth/speed the PCI 2.0 will operate at ( x4 ). I understand that 3.0 will double the bandwidth that 2.0 offers but there isn't a video card out there right now that can really take advantage of 3.0. However, when I see a 2.0 at x4, it makes me scratch my head as to whether or not I will be taking full advantage of the available bandwidth that PCI-E 2.0 should offer while using a mobo with the Z77 chipset. I tried researching this and really could not dig anything up (perhaps my search methods suck). Could a motherboard expert explain what is going on with this or provide me some insight on what it means having a single GPU on a PCI-E 2.0 operating at x4? I need some closure on this before I spend my $$$ in 2 weeks.

andrecomputero

Reputable
May 11, 2015

Hello I know its an old thread, but i want to know what you did (or th elink the thread you solved this issue).

I also have solved too using gen1 and updating bios.

Thanks for you attention.