CPU COOLING (fan replacement)

pyjamas

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Hi,

anyone know of a more aestheticly pleasing fan to replace the TY-140 in the Silver arrow. Theyre a great and practical fan dont get me wrong, but im after something a little more flashy, oh and yeah Quiet! I tried the Thermalright 140 silent pro's but theyre just a tad too big.maybe some 120mm fans??
Any help would be appreciated,

:pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

Solution
I like Excalibur fans as well. They'd be an excellent performance choice. But you're right - they have almost no flash factor at all.

Enermax's fans all have a bit of flash factor, as well as excellent performance. You wouldn't really be able to see the flash of an Apollish fan when mounted on a tower cooler, but their other models, the Everest, Cluster, and TBSilence, would still have visible appeal.

Oh. Almost forgot... PC Case Gear's prices are a bit on the high side. Compare shop PCcasegear prices against some of the sites I linked previously, as well as this one: Xoxide.com.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
To move the same amount of air with a smaller fan (for efficient cooling) you'll need a higher fan speed, resulting in more noise. Thus, when it comes to silent cooling, you always either look at passive cooler (fanless radiators) or as large a fans as possible (140mm > 120mm).

When looking at 140mm fans (or 120mm, doesn't matter) I'd prefer either Cooler Master or Antec fans. With Cooler Master I'd look at the R4 fan series (ones with LED's for flashiness) or the Excalibur fans for power movement. In the Antec fan series I'd pick either the TwoCool or the TriCool fans. SmartCool or TrueQuiet is also nice, but either not powerful enough or not flashy enough.

pyjamas

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Hey thanks yeah im after fans that will be optimally suited with the silver arrow, as i said i have the x silent 140's but they dont fit. I guess i need good quality quiet 120's OR 140's with mounting specs of a 120mm, if that makes sense? Similar to the TY-140 stock fans i guess. Dont mind paying a bit extra for something good.

Excaliburs are great, thanks for the tip :)

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Maru's are the only aftermarket 140mm fans I'm aware of that fit 120mm mounting holes, so they should also work with the Silver Arrow's fan mounting brackets. There are 3 models available - 800rpm (43CFM/14dBA), 1200rpm (65CFM/23dBA), and 1700rpm (92CFM/36dBA). None of them are "flashy" at all - they only come in standard black. But the 800prm model is very quiet, and the 1200rpm is pretty quiet.

May as well offer a link, right? Kaze Maru2's at Newegg

pyjamas

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

Thanks great fans, theyre slim and design is nice, thanks will check em out more!

pyjamas

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Well the top of the x silent sits just flat against the window of the FT02 and the bottom of the fan rests on the RAM......not good. Will have to keep looking for fans!

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Noctua has a 140mm fan (used on the NH-D14) that will fit, but they're like $30+ apiece. They look a lot like the stock ones of the Silver Arrow, but with a different fan blade color (rusty-red?). That's probably because the Silver Arrow and NH-D14 are basically an identical design, which is probably produced by some nameless OEM partner company we've never heard of operating out of Taipei or something :)

If you want flash, have you considered the Enermax Apollish? You'd only need one, as the 2nd fan (between the divided heatsinks) would be hidden. When it comes to flash, they're pretty much it. Newegg doesn't carry them anymore, though.

pyjamas

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Just an opinion but i find the noctua's coolers hard on the eye, funny colour scheme, ewww....Enermax look great although i need the 120mm mounting holes.

pyjamas

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

RB Youve been an absolute champ!!! thanks for all the help, much appreciated M8!
Man im thinkn i may have to go a 120mm fan because even if i go 140mm with 120mm mounts it will still hit my Ripjaws.
I could have got smaller RAM i know and after all the research ive done, even more so, but this is where im at. Ive been looking at Coolermaster Excaliburs, not really flashy tho

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13960

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_510&products_id=14633

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I like Excalibur fans as well. They'd be an excellent performance choice. But you're right - they have almost no flash factor at all.

Enermax's fans all have a bit of flash factor, as well as excellent performance. You wouldn't really be able to see the flash of an Apollish fan when mounted on a tower cooler, but their other models, the Everest, Cluster, and TBSilence, would still have visible appeal.

Oh. Almost forgot... PC Case Gear's prices are a bit on the high side. Compare shop PCcasegear prices against some of the sites I linked previously, as well as this one: Xoxide.com.

Solution

pyjamas

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Hey, im tosssing up with the excaliburs orr spraying TY-140's with high temp resistant s.paint black and red......ill send of a pic of rig once shes set up!
cheers RBandit

peace!