Asustek motherboard with pentium 4 2 4ghz memory upgrade

DameDash123

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Here's my question and please try not to be too cocky, because i really like this site, so i have an ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Motherboard with a Pentium 4 processor 2.4GHz and it has A total of 5 memory slots. Two have 512MB DIMMS, totaling 1Gig right. Well I'm trying my hardest to try and find the right site to find out how much more memory this motherboard can take and the best site to purchase the memory. So please if you can help out a fellow computer tech i would be very greatful. Thanks Dame

Do you have your motherboard's exact model? If so, then you can do a Google search with the model number and the name "crucial" (without the quotation marks) and then click on the first link that starts with crucial.com and it should take you to a page that has the memory specifications and some recommended Crucial brand memory kits.

Also, are you sure that it has 5 memory slots? That's a weird number of memory slots. It's usually two, three, four, six, or eight, with four being the most common. Most CPUs only support up to four, so that's the most common and most two slot systems have CPUs that support up to four, but the motherboard was intentionally designed to only support two anyway. I've never heard of a motherboard with five memory slots.

rajyohanson

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
blazorthon I have come across Dells of the p4 generation that had these mega towers with 5 ram slots in it. Weirdest thing ever. Three were upright ||| then two laid in an angle like \\ that next to them.

Well, good to know that the number is correct. Still, I wonder if the OP's problem is solved or not.

DameDash123

Honorable
May 2, 2012

I'm sorry, I was mistaken, your right it only had two slots when I opened her up. It had two 512MB-DDR PC333. So it's running 1GB. My next question is, if I drop (two), 1 GB-DDR PC333 chips in will that Pentium 4 processor 2.4GHz handle that and if so do you think that my friend will notice that his operating system, which I beliieve is Win Vista basic or home edition will handle opening applications faster or do you think that that CPU can handle 4GB's? I got bad eyes too, where exactly is the serial number located on that motherboard? Ok thats it for now, thanks for your reply and hope to hear from ya again soon blazorthon.

DameDash123

Honorable
May 2, 2012

Hey, by the way sorry I haven't been back on eailer I was out of town but now that its pay day I'd like to take care of this for my friend. Check out my other reply blazorthon. Thank buddy. DameDash123 June 3, 2012 1:15pm p.s I'll be checkin in alot more now that I got some good replies. Later

If your computer is not a home built computer, then it should have a model number. The model number is often located somewhere on the outside of the case. For example, my old Dell Dimension E510 P4 computer had the model name right on the faceplate of the case near the optical drive and my somewhat newer eMachines computer has its model number on the right side of the case. The CPU can probably handle 4GB, but I don't know if the motherboard can. Find that model number on the outside of the case and do the Google search like I said earlier and you should find what you need.

DameDash123

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Yeah thanks, I wish it was that easy. But this is a guy that bought a computer off of another guy's brother who has a father-in-law........lol That built the thing from motherboard up, and slapped a case on it. Now, is where i come in to play, been fixing computers since DOS operating systems, however can't find that number on the board. Even windows vista and norton only verify it as that ASUSTeK so i'm stuck looking at the cpu and chip set speeds. So, I'm thinking it will take 2Gigs so I'll start with that see if it will take some strain off the cpu. If he's happy i'll just put this one behind me. But you should have seen how much dust, dirt, cig ashes and spider webs I cleaned off of that entire thing. I had to take the fan off the heatsink , clean the hell out of both of those, then clean the top of the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink and reapply that heat transfer compound. So now that its clean it sounds a whole lot better. Now i'm just waiting for him to pay for the memory next week and i'll be sure to let ya know. Hey, I really think its cool of you to take time to care ya know. Your actually inspiring me to do the same. So, If you could stay in touch, that would def be cool. Like I said thanks again, later blazorthon, DameDash123

Go to crucial.com

They have a tool that you can download and this tool will tell you what your motherboard's memory specifications are.

You're welcome, I think that this is time well-spent. If you want to contact me outside of this thread, PMing me is usually the fastest way.

EDIT: Crucial.com seems to be under maintenance right now (I just checked), so you might have to wait a while before you can download that tool.