Computer Shuts Down/Restarts Every time I play a game.

radicalone4

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hey everyone,

I have owned my PC for less than a year. However, starting just a few weeks ago, it began to act strangely. Every single time I play games (such as Starcraft II), my computer either shuts down or restarts. This usually occurs without warning (no blue screen of death). I have tried reinstalling the game, but the problem persists. If it helps, my computer specs are:

- Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955 clocked at 3.2 GHZ
- Power Supply: 500 Watts
- RAM: 4096MB
- Motherboard: MA785GM-US2H by GIGABYTE
- Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (768 MB Version)
- Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit

I am not a very techy person, so I apologize if I am not giving enough information.

Thanks.

natx808

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
either not enough power or overheating.; did you add any components like hdds or cd roms?

The spec for Geforce 460 calls for a minimum 450W power supply and a minimum of 24 Amps on the +12 rail. you will have to dig into your power supply specs to determine if it is sufficient.

if you have enough devices on the same rail even the 500W might not be cutting it.

flipt

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Same as the others. Power supply or overheating. Years back, I did a new build and a friend donated a 350W PS to me. Playing Planetside in thick action caused the reboot issue for me. Did research and concluded my PS was weak. Went to Circuit City and got an Antec Trupower 350W, installed and did not have an issue. My point is in line with what natx is referring to. Good luck.

radicalone4

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I also forgot to mention that my PC Case is very small compared to most gaming cases. My room is also very hot, and I haven't used my PC for several weeks in July...so could there have been a gradual build-up of heat inside my computer?

Btw, my 500 watt power supply was from COOLMAX, and only costed about $30. Thanks for all the answers guys.

natx808

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
if the PSU is a coolmax cp-500t, it has 2 12V rails. if both rails are equal current then it is not sufficient (12V * 24A = 288Watt)

if you have a best buy nearby and get a 600w power supply. if it doesn't fix it you can return it!

ram1009

Distinguished

Better yet, buy the highest wattage QUALITY PSU you can afford. Consider it an insurance policy and a cheap one at that.