Sign in with
Your question
Closed

No post beeps when RAM is installed

Last response: in Memory
May 3, 2012 1:36:07 AM

First off this is my first build so try to bear with me. I've been following the newegg tutorial here, but did not receive a beep when powering up for the first time. I am running an i5-3570k on an ASRock Z77 Pro4 Mobo with Patriot 2x4GB DDR3 1600 RAM (it's on the compatibility list). When I remove the RAM sticks and power it up, I receive 3 long beeps which I've read indicates a memory issue. When I plug in any stick of RAM and try, I get no beeps and no output on my monitor (fans and everything else do run). I have tried both sticks in all 4 slots to no avail. I left it running with no RAM for about half an hour and the CPU did heat up so I'm assuming that it is working fine. At this point I think the problem is either with my RAM or Mobo, which is more likely?
May 3, 2012 2:16:36 AM

Did you take the appropiate antistatic precautions?

RAM is the most sensititive to static damage.
What video card do you have? or are you using onboard?

Post order is Mobo CPU RAM video

so if your video card has an issue it could cause no post but when you remove RAM it will post beep as its checked before video.
Score

Best solution

a b } Memory
May 3, 2012 2:18:00 AM

Probably motherboard. After all, both sticks didn't work.
Related resources
May 3, 2012 2:20:21 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
Did you take the appropiate antistatic precautions?

RAM is the most sensititive to static damage.
What video card do you have? or are you using onboard?

Post order is Mobo CPU RAM video

so if your video card has an issue it could cause no post but when you remove RAM it will post beep as its checked before video.

I do not have an anti-static wrist strap but I am working on a wooden table and using the case to discharge myself. My GPU is an EVGA GTX 480 but it is not hooked up when I have this issue.
Score
May 6, 2012 7:22:49 PM

Best answer selected by GoalieGuy6.
Score
May 6, 2012 7:23:06 PM

Got the motherboard replaced and everything is working great, thanks for the help.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 6, 2012 11:36:44 PM

Thanx for letting us know....
Score
a c 146 } Memory
May 6, 2012 11:36:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!