Miyamoto: Internet-Connected DS is "Possible"

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3133396

Miyamoto Calls Net-Connected DS "Possible"
But not probable, so no reason to get so excited.

By David Smith
07/12/2004

The DS handheld has the potential to function as an Internet terminal,
Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto commented in a recent interview on the
personal site of Earthbound creator Shigesato Itoi.
"Technically, it's possible," Miyamoto said, in response to a question
about the potential of the system's wireless LAN capabilities. The DS
employs 802.11b wireless networking for multiplayer games, which could
connect it to the Internet in the presence of the appropriate access
point.

However, Miyamoto downplayed the likelihood of Nintendo capitalizing
on that possibility. "We would like to keep trying to be able to enjoy
new kinds of gameplay," he said, making that the selling point of the
system rather than a variety of crossover capabilities.

okay now wait a sec ...didn't Yamauchi say that GBA was internet
capable, as an internet terminal as well, back in 1999 or 2000? It
seems Sega was the only one to follow through on internet connectivity
(not just online gaming) with the Saturn and the Dreamcast.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

> okay now wait a sec ...didn't Yamauchi say that GBA was internet
> capable, as an internet terminal as well, back in 1999 or 2000? It

Link please. Sounds like a comment taken way out of context.

This whole internet 'possible' thing means nothing. He said its technically
possible.
Its techinically possible for the DS to run WindowsCE and be supported by
microsoft, but it ain't ganna happen.

"Dacium" <dacium@hogwarts.com> wrote in message
> > okay now wait a sec ...didn't Yamauchi say that GBA was internet
> > capable, as an internet terminal as well, back in 1999 or 2000? It
>
> Link please. Sounds like a comment taken way out of context.

The link was provided.

"menu boy" <abuse@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Dacium" <dacium@hogwarts.com> wrote in message
> > > okay now wait a sec ...didn't Yamauchi say that GBA was internet
> > > capable, as an internet terminal as well, back in 1999 or 2000? It
> >
> > Link please. Sounds like a comment taken way out of context.
>
> The link was provided.

A link to where Yamauchi said the GBA was capable as an Internet terminal, not
the topic creator's article.

TRENDING THREADS