Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 with Ivy. No Post.

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 3, 2012 3:14:09 AM

New Build. Can't post. LEDs on. Fans on. No video output on VGA, HDMI, or DVI. Error code 55, which makes sense since the BIOS needs update for Ivy...but I can't update what I can't see :( . I unplugged/replugged the power cords for the board (both 8 and 24 pin). Disconnected everything except PSU, 1 RAM stick, keyboard, VGA, and USB memory stick ... and case fans, leds, etc. Moved memory cards around in the slots, both single and double. Didn't affect anything. Tried hitting F2/Del to boot off of USB with new BIOS, but didn't affect video output either. What else can I try??!!!

MB ASROCK|Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 1155 R
PSU CORSAIR| CMPSU-650HX 650W RT
CPU INTEL|CORE I5 3570K
MEM 4Gx2|G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

UPDATE: Asrock provided new BIOS chip; contacted via tech support request on their website (http://174.142.97.10/support/tsd.asp). New BIOS chip resolved problems.
May 3, 2012 3:28:56 AM

It seems obvious, you can't use the cpu because you don't have the update, you can get the update cuz you can't use the cpu. Solution? Either use a different cpu to get the update or you can see if your mobo will let you use a usb drive to flash bios with or with out the cpu in.

a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 3:43:21 AM

lol u cant flash the bios without a working cpu.

you need a more recent bios on the mobo.

so yeah, your only solution is to find a temporary sandybridge cpu to put in to update your bios on your mobo. have any friends with a sandy theyd be willing to lend you for a few minutes?

if not, rma (really id rma it anyway, z68 doesnt take advantage of all of ivys features. you want z77)
Related resources
May 3, 2012 3:51:08 AM

neon neophyte said:
lol u cant flash the bios without a working cpu.

you need a more recent bios on the mobo.

so yeah, your only solution is to find a temporary sandybridge cpu to put in to update your bios on your mobo. have any friends illing to lend you for a few minutes?

if not, rma (really id rma it anyway, z68 doesnt take advantage of all of ivys features. you want z77)


I don't think that's true, z68 has all the same as z77 except
- supports usb3 ports, natively
- pcie 3.0 cpu controlled (which ivy doesn't fully take advantage of either)
- irst 11 w/ intel caching

Anyways, rma would suck, hope you can borrow some ones sb.
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 3:59:01 AM

Core i5 3570K dosent support Z68, instead it support B75, H77, Z75, Z77 chipset. Z68 is for 2nd gen core i5 cpu, like i5-2500k but not for 3rd gen like yours. You have to upgrade to Ivy Bridge supported motherboard like i said.
May 3, 2012 4:08:21 AM

mubin said:
Core i5 3570K dosent support Z68, instead it support B75, H77, Z75, Z77 chipset. Z68 is for 2nd gen core i5 cpu, like i5-2500k but not for 3rd gen like yours. You have to upgrade to Ivy Bridge supported motherboard like i said.


My z68 board supports ivy bridge, why wouldn't it support the 3570K?
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 4:21:03 AM

robertris2 said:
My z68 board supports ivy bridge, why wouldn't it support the 3570K?


Do you use Ivy Bridge? I see you are using Sandy Bridge i5-2500k. Whatever, intel compatible product dont have z68 listed, only B75, H77, Z75, Z77 listed.
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 7:32:41 AM

fact is ivybridge didnt exist when z68 came out, in order to be compatible with ivybridge it needs a more current bios on it

and you dont think whats true? you just listed 3 features right there that z68 doesnt use with ivybridge. want another? virtu mvp
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 10:11:14 AM

Process is simple take another working sandy bridge cpu run up your system after that get latest BIOS then FLASH/UPGRADE it now Put you ivy bridge inside and enjoy
Make sure power is off when playing with CPU
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 10:47:07 AM

mubin said:
Do you use Ivy Bridge? I see you are using Sandy Bridge i5-2500k. Whatever, intel compatible product dont have z68 listed, only B75, H77, Z75, Z77 listed.



Wake up. Ivy Bridge needs a bios update on the Z68 boards for it to work.

Dont argue with people that are right about something you have no clue about .
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 10:57:07 AM

mubin said:
Core i5 3570K dosent support Z68, instead it support B75, H77, Z75, Z77 chipset. Z68 is for 2nd gen core i5 cpu, like i5-2500k but not for 3rd gen like yours. You have to upgrade to Ivy Bridge supported motherboard like i said.

It do support Just needed upgrading bios for Z68
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 11:51:29 AM

mubin said:
Do you use Ivy Bridge? I see you are using Sandy Bridge i5-2500k. Whatever, intel compatible product dont have z68 listed, only B75, H77, Z75, Z77 listed.


IB is 1155...
May 3, 2012 12:20:11 PM

Lol. So the general consensus is that I should be able to use the Z68 and Ivy Bridge together even if I maybe don't get full capacity out of it (since the BIOS update is specifically for Ivy)...

With that in mind, is the reason that I get no video output because of the current BIOS incompatibility, or is there something wrong with the mobo? I'm trying to find someone with a SandyBridge, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to. If I can't find a SandyBridge, is there anything I can do besides getting the BIOS chip update or RMA?

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 1:09:04 PM
Share

IMO There's nothing wrong with MOBO just find LGA1155 SANDY BRIDGE by friend or someone who you know put it in your Z68 MOBO FLASH/UPGRADE your BIOS after that put your new IVY BRIDGE and enjoy... :) 
But if you couldn't find it i dont think there might be another way.
Make sure power is off when playing with components. :) 
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 2:08:00 PM

monsta said:
Wake up. Ivy Bridge needs a bios update on the Z68 boards for it to work.

Dont argue with people that are right about something you have no clue about .


I am not arguing, just telling about intel's compatible list. And asking robertris2 if he personally experience it. Cause i dont know about bios update for newer IB processor yet.
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 2:50:48 PM

mubin said:
I am not arguing, just telling about intel's compatible list. And asking robertris2 if he personally experience it. Cause i dont know about bios update for newer IB processor yet.

Its happened bro:)  We're living beings uploading knowledge with new technologies.
May 3, 2012 3:16:48 PM

neon neophyte said:
fact is ivybridge didnt exist when z68 came out, in order to be compatible with ivybridge it needs a more current bios on it

and you dont think whats true? you just listed 3 features right there that z68 doesnt use with ivybridge. want another? virtu mvp



Yeah you're right, those features are the only difference between the chipsets in question. With that in mind, the native usb 3 had been tested and proven to have no benefit over third party controllers what so ever. Fact is, I don't want an argument, just want to help the op.

Op, if you can't find a friend with sb, then rma it or you can opt for a z77 board. The z77 board will be slightly more expensive (as all latest tech is over last gen). Unless you plan on utilizing virtu, irst, or on board hd4000 graphics, you won't notice any real world difference in performance.

Those seem to be the only logical solutions at this point. Just make sure if you rma, that the new board you get comes with the latest bios.
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 4:12:40 PM

What's mean of OP and RMA?
May 3, 2012 5:25:36 PM

Op = original poster
Rma = return to manufacturer
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 5:27:36 PM

Thanks :) 
May 5, 2012 11:41:22 AM

I was unable to find a SB. But ASRock is sending me a new BIOS chip via USPS first class for free, so now I just need to be patient for a week.
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2012 11:58:33 AM

oatgirl66 said:
I was unable to find a SB. But ASRock is sending me a new BIOS chip via USPS first class for free, so now I just need to be patient for a week.


Thats good play with Reguler life for a week :) 
May 5, 2012 5:56:57 PM

oatgirl66 said:
I was unable to find a SB. But ASRock is sending me a new BIOS chip via USPS first class for free, so now I just need to be patient for a week.


Perfect! Good to see you don't have to waste any money on shipping.
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2012 8:43:19 PM

bonus points for asrock, that was nice of them
May 8, 2012 2:28:24 AM

Installed BIOS chip today, and everything is working nicely! Yay!
May 8, 2012 2:40:34 AM

oatgirl66 said:
Installed BIOS chip today, and everything is working nicely! Yay!


Congrats, persistence always pays off. Sorry you had to wait in agony for your build to work!
a b V Motherboard
May 8, 2012 9:59:18 AM

gratz oatgirl
October 29, 2012 5:05:13 AM

Can I use 3 monitors at the same time for gaming using the AsRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 motherboard?? I want to know this because at present iam slowly but surely building my first gaming PC...at present I have purchased an Antec 900 psu, Intel i5 3570 CPU, 32gb GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 ram 1600mhz, the above mobo, Thermaltake Commander MKII case, Asus Dual Layer CD Burner and a 120gb Intel 330 series SSD. I plan to run 2 x Sapphire 7870 2gb OC cards using Crossfire with Windows 7 Pro. Iam guessing that iam going to have to change mobos but iam hoping that I dont because I read in the mobo manual that you cannot run 3 monitors at the same time but it also says something else regarding this that I totally didn't understand. Any help is much appreciated in regards to the monitors and the PC...thanks in advance. Iam I heading in the right direction or should I buy a Z77 mobo as I gather the i5 CPU that I bought would run on a Z77 chipset board...yes??
November 7, 2012 11:54:53 PM

I've no idea. Try starting new post.
November 7, 2012 11:57:40 PM

Best answer selected by oatgirl66.
!