Solved

Stock Heatsink

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
August 16, 2011 3:04:57 AM

Sorry I know this has been asked numerous times, but always such mixed reviews. I am putting my build together as soon as my video card shows up. I have a I5 2500K, not really planning on overclocking (as i am a complete newb to this, not sure if i need to). Will to stock fan be good or should i just spend and extra 20 or 30 on a after market. If not I plan on spending the extra money on more case fans. Any input would be appreciated.

More about : stock heatsink

August 16, 2011 3:21:19 AM

If you don't plan on overclocking atm, use the stock cooler. It will also support a mild overclock.

My advice is to build your system in the case you select without adding any fans, unless you are adding them for appearance only. After you build your PC, you will test it using Prime95, Furmark, and CPUID's Hardware Monitor to watch temps and make sure your build is solid.

At that time you can look at temps and decide whether - and where - additional cooling is necessary.
m
l
August 16, 2011 3:28:10 AM

Okay, a couple points. First, the i5 2500k is designed for overclocking, hence the -k specification. If you really don't plan on overclocking, then go with a 2500, 2400, 2310 or something like that. It looks like you've already bought it (congrats!), which brings me to my next point, that you really ought to overclock! There is so much untapped potential in the 2500k running at stock. If you're tech-savvy enough to install a new CPU, you're capable of overclocking the thing. You can easily get it to 3.8 GHz (most people say 4.0, but I'm playing it really safe) on the stock cooler. I recommend grabbing a CM Hyper 212+ for less than $30 shipped to cool your CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's the best value in the HSF market, the perfect complement to your 2500k, which is the best value in the CPU market.
m
l
Related resources
August 16, 2011 3:33:25 AM

i was going to get the 2500 but the DIY kit i liked best was only 20 bucks more and came with the K. I am mainly going to use this computer for work. running 3 monitors excel, AC DC (viewing Images), and internet. nothing crazy, so i dunno would overclocking benefit any of that?
m
l
August 16, 2011 3:45:40 AM

If you're doing any photo editing, then an overclock will help you. And, of course, eventually you'll start hitting walls even with simpler tasks (years down the road). Basically, if you have any task you do that involves you sitting there while the CPU crunches numbers, then an overclock will help.
m
l
August 16, 2011 3:48:09 AM

well in that case how much overclock can i do while keeping the system as close to 100% safe as possible. i am gonna buy the hyper 212 for cooling. Sounds like i need to start researching how to do this.
m
l
August 16, 2011 5:25:54 AM

tdubb21 said:
well in that case how much overclock can i do while keeping the system as close to 100% safe as possible. i am gonna buy the hyper 212 for cooling. Sounds like i need to start researching how to do this.

Most people can hit the low 4.something GHz without any voltmod and 4.6 with a very modest voltage adjustment.
m
l
August 16, 2011 6:32:16 AM

I see they've convinced you to prepare for OCing lol.

You haven't told us what configuration you are planning. When you overclock, you will generate more heat. The Hyper 212 is a very good cooler, and is an excellent value, and it will take enough heat off the cpu to support your OC efforts. That extra hot air will go into the case. Now you need to make sure you can get it *out* of the case :) 

Dunno what case you are looking at, but this case has been performing very well in Anand's most recent tests:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4303/inwin-buc-100-dollar...

$65 after MIR at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Buc was the first case tested in Anand's most recent series. But it stacks up very well vs more expensive cases thought to be very cool and quiet, as shown in this table from the latest article in the series:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4620/silverstone-fortress...

Once you get that hot air out of the case, you probably will notice the diference in warmth between non-OC and OC if you put the tower under your desk :) 

Also don't know what motherboard you are considering, but I paired the 2600k with an Asus Deluxe. That may be more mobo than you need/want, but the Asus BIOS is bright and shiny new and the board is easy to overclock.
m
l
August 16, 2011 8:40:06 PM

Here is the DIY kit that i Purchased. I have my Radeon HD5770 coming. and planning on getting a 40-60 gig SSD to run windows 7
m
l

Best solution

August 17, 2011 1:50:37 AM

Looks like your case is a Thermaltake V3. Here's one review of the case:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ttake_v3_bk_edi...

It didn't do too badly, especially for the price of the case. It ran warmer under full cpu load, which may or may not make much difference in a mild overclock of a Sandy Bridge cpu.

The MSI motherboard appears to be a well-featured, single vid card mobo. I could not find a professional review of the board, but did find the 89 reviews on Newegg. One has to be very careful reading those lol. There was praise for the BIOS and the OC software provided, along with criticism of fan control. Aside from the usual DOA and CS complaints, the one thing I'd say maybe watch out for is chip set temperatures. But none of this is unexpected in a "value" board.

Good luck on the build, go slow and enjoy it.
August 27, 2011 3:16:27 PM

Best answer selected by tdubb21.
m
l
!