Sign in with
Your question

6970's fried, but how?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 11, 2011 6:40:50 PM

Ok how could this have happened?????

New system built in late Jan and has been running great since then.
Yesterday, received new/replacement MSI B3 motherboard, so I swap the old board with the new. The only thing that changing in this rig is the motherboard. After getting new board back in and cpu, mem, video cards (dual 6970's) back in and check all the connections are tight and everything reconnected, I go to powerr up and only case fan came on. Turn power off and back on, then hit power, both 6970s start smoking from the power connections!! Immediatly unpluged power from PSU, but I'm affraid it's too late. The smell of fried circuits is terrible.
WTF!
I carefully checked all connections while I was taking it all apart and found nothing. I have extensive experience building pc's and have never fried anything. The Only thing different was the MotherBoard.
As I said this system had been running since January with no problems. I have no idea what else might have fried and no idea what caused it.

Any ideas on how this could have happened? Brand new MSI motherboard out of the box is the ONLY thing different.

Dave

More about : 6970 fried

a c 125 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2011 6:48:55 PM

What are the full system specs? Especially the PSU?? And why did you need to replace the motherboard?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 11, 2011 6:53:42 PM

Most important : Didnt you void the warranty????????
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2011 7:20:28 PM

wolfram23 said:
And why did you need to replace the motherboard?

He probably RMA-ed his defective sandy-bridge MB so he can use the SATA 3G ports.
m
l
a c 603 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2011 7:23:24 PM

Oh boy, for as much as people recommend MSI for their great products, I had to RMA a MSI motherboard recently with the same symptoms: fan starts up, but nothing else. After RMA, the new board had the same issue. I finally went and bought yet another new MSI board and it worked.

So, the first board became defective after working for a few months, then the RMA board was clearly not 'new' when I opened the box and was dead on arrival (I still have it in mothballs). So it was a problem with the motherboard being able to deliver power to the CPU. Your problem sounds similar. I'm afraid it's RMA time.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2011 7:34:09 PM

17seconds said:
Oh boy, for as much as people recommend MSI for their great products, I had to RMA a MSI motherboard recently with the same symptoms: fan starts up, but nothing else. After RMA, the new board had the same issue. I finally went and bought yet another new MSI board and it worked.

So, the first board became defective after working for a few months, then the RMA board was clearly not 'new' when I opened the box and was dead on arrival (I still have it in mothballs). So it was a problem with the motherboard being able to deliver power to the CPU. Your problem sounds similar. I'm afraid it's RMA time.

Probably - but his cards were "smoking" which means there could be significant damage to them.

But yeah my first P55 board was an MSI P55GD65 and it died on me too. I bought it at a local store and had warranty, and luckily they were out of stock, so I got my ASUS P7P55D Pro in replacement and man did I get lucky. This board rocks.
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2011 8:02:18 PM

@op - What power supply do you have? if the vid card was smoking from the power sockets there could be something wrong with it.
m
l
a c 603 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2011 8:06:14 PM

I'm wondering how likely it is that a motherboard can be damaged by using too much force to push in a video card, CPU heatsink, or memory module?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 78 V Motherboard
March 11, 2011 8:38:05 PM

Summary first:

There is likely a short circuit on your new motherboard. I'd look around the 24 pin power connector. Or, the voltage regulators on the motherboard failed, check them for burnt or charred components... The best way to debug further is close visual inspection of the motherboard on both sides. Barring that, you'll need a multimeter to ohm out the power supply connections. And then check voltages with motherboard ONLY connected to your power supply.

What's the exact make & model of your power supply? (a Short circuit SHOULD have shut down the power supply, but, cheap ones don't have good protection circuitry )

Not as Likely since BOTH boards smoked (but check, its hard to tell where smoke is coming from):

If there is smoke coming Directly from the PCI-E power connector (like the plastic housing itself) it would likely be the connection to the pins in that connector are not tight. This causes high resistance. The resistance generates heat and the PLASTIC in the connector housing will melt....

I've see this several times with the P4 power connection for the CPU on the motherboard. The plastic melts into a puddle.

The cause, Really cheap power supplies using poor fitting connections....

Not as Likely since BOTH boards smoked: (but check, its hard to tell where smoke is coming from):

BUT if the smoke is coming from NEAR the PCI-E power connectors, it's more likely the voltage regulation has gone up in flames. You should be able to see charred components just under the shroud on your board. Normally this only occurs when the GPU draws too much power, due to OC'ing. Or, a component in the voltage regulation fails catastrophically.
m
l
March 14, 2011 3:01:00 PM

OCZ 850 Gold modular Z series PSU
MSI P67A-GD65 MotherBoard

There is no noticeable scaring on either side of the motherboard. The video cards and the pci-e slots are the only places that smell of death. All the connections were tight, it had to be some sort of defect in the motherboard.

Good news is, newegg in it's awesomeness is going to replace MB, RAM, CPU, PSU, and Video cards!!

Thank you all for the replies.

Dave
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 78 V Motherboard
March 14, 2011 7:27:26 PM

Wow, one more reason to spend dollars at NewEgg.....

Thanks for letting us know....

m
l
a c 603 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2011 7:53:04 PM

Three people in this thread alone had problems with similar MSI GD65 motherboards.
m
l
!